Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anxiety and the RTR
I've been in the Quartzsite area for a few weeks now.  I drove through town today on the way to Queens Canyon.  Seeing the crowd and knowing that it will only grow really makes me feel a lot of anxiety about attending.  
I will go. I need to learn and network, but I love peace and quiet and had to get away from the crowds for a couple of weeks before the RTR.  Where I am now I am surrounded by beauty and can't see or hear another person.  It is bliss!  
Does anyone else feel nervous/anxious about the crowd expected at the RTR this year?  If so how are you coping with it?
La Tortuga Abides,

Who knew that becoming a "Human Being" takes practice?
Add Thank You Reply
The following 2 users say Thank You to La Tortuga for this post:
Netter (01-02-2018), bullfrog (01-01-2018)
I'm more nervous about the cold drive out, leaving the 4th and the temps mean I'll be taking the southernmost route. 2000 miles is a long way to drive
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to sreesekelley for this post:
La Tortuga (12-31-2017)
It’s a very big desert... camp remotely and drive to the RTR for the daily activities.. no need to camp at RTR Headquarters....
On the Ground Travel Channel - Jayco Jay Flight 23RB - Subaru Outback
Like us on facebook http://alturl.com/4wzuy
Add Thank You Reply
The following 3 users say Thank You to Deal Breaker for this post:
GaRay (01-03-2018), RV-Hopeful (01-02-2018), La Tortuga (12-31-2017)
(12-31-2017, 05:35 PM)sreesekelley Wrote: I'm more nervous about the cold drive out, leaving the 4th and the temps mean I'll be taking the southernmost route.    2000 miles is a long way to drive

Just remember, The closer you get, the warmer it gets!
La Tortuga Abides,

Add Thank You Reply
(12-31-2017, 05:46 PM)Deal Breaker Wrote: It’s a very big desert... camp remotely and drive to the RTR for the daily activities.. no need to camp at RTR Headquarters....

That sound's easy enough but I am a van dweller.  I would have to strike and then setup camp everyday.  I think I will have to find a happy medium.
La Tortuga Abides,

Add Thank You Reply
(12-31-2017, 07:28 PM)La Tortuga Wrote: That sound's easy enough but I am a van dweller.  I would have to strike and then setup camp everyday.  I think I will have to find a happy medium.

Next time you're there take a look around, see any empty spots a five or ten minute walk away?   Stay there & walk to the main camp when you want to.

Rob
vwrobb@gmail.com
On the road....
Add Thank You Reply
The following 3 users say Thank You to becida for this post:
Deal Breaker (01-01-2018), frater secessus (01-01-2018), La Tortuga (12-31-2017)
What I noticed last year is that the washes that you can get to from where you turn into the Rtr site filled up pretty well. But the washes further north or south had some Rtr folks who walked over.
A towhee is a type of sparrow. I am also called Nancy. 
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to towhee for this post:
La Tortuga (12-31-2017)
I can understand, the thought that this year could be double the people gives me a weird feeling and I have no explanation at all why, it doesn't make sense. But I'm gonna keep and open mind. I want to me new people and have new experiences. Would like to make more road friends to meet up with along the way.
16ft Coachman Clipper is the home, and the E150 Pulls it. Live Free(er)
Instagram: ellocoburrito
https://wanderlovejosh.wordpress.com
https://www.flickr.com/gp/133236240@N04/UpzN26
Add Thank You Reply
The following 2 users say Thank You to WanderLoveJosh for this post:
Confetti (01-01-2018), La Tortuga (12-31-2017)
The skoolies had the choicest spot, on balance, last year.
-Douglas Tooley

My Blog
Add Thank You Reply
I also suffer from group anxiety.  I have been forcing myself to get out one night a week with a small group (12-16 peeps). The first time, it took me two days to get over it. The second time it took only one day to get back to normal.  After that, no problem and I'm enjoying it.  I went with a friend and she was very helpful.

As for RTR, I'm just not going.  A group that large -- no way!!  Can't get far enough away.  *shiver*.
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to Stargazer for this post:
La Tortuga (01-01-2018)