Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What's the coldest you have experienced living in van without insulation or heater?
I spent two weeks sleeping in a company truck working a Drilling Rig in Williston, ND.. We experienced a week of sub zero temperatures with the coldest night hitting -18F... Only turned my Diesel Chevy pickup off a couple times to check the oil, just kept adding fuel.

As far as camping goes, 20F on the ground tent at Death Valley's Telescope Peak trail head....
On the Ground Travel Channel - Jayco Jay Flight 23RB - Subaru Outback
Like us on facebook http://alturl.com/4wzuy
Add Thank You Reply
I think I'll pickup a wool blanket in addition just in case. I usually have one of my roof vents opened 1/3 of the way to avoid condensation.
Thanks all.
Add Thank You Reply
-25º f Who knows what the wind chill was..... Love my sub-zero bag!!
https://tinyurl.com/y74tm6pa

Proud YARC inductee
Add Thank You Reply
forget $500 for a down sleeping bag. I use a queen-sized down comforter, fold in half and tuck edges under on one side. My fav is on sale at target right now~$84:
https://www.target.com/p/warmest-down-co...nk=sametab
a tag along vagabond, hopefully ftrv by 2020
tav-2020   http://tagalongvagabond.com
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to tav-2020 for this post:
xNateX (01-14-2018)
yes get a sleep system that will keep you warm in the coldest temp that you plan to be in. heaters are nice but don't rely on them. I always refer to what Colin Fletcher said, "pick out the best sleeping bag you can afford and buy the next best one up". for me I have been in the -5° range a few times. at those temps it's hard to get out of your sleeping bag. highdesertranger
Add Thank You Reply
Hi Friends, 

This past June I went to Yellowstone NP with my cat. I was camped up the mountain and the 2nd day the rangers came by and let us know they were expecting 11-16" of snow that night. I said "GOODBYE" and moved down to lower ground where we got about 4" of snow overnight. I had NO insulation at all, which I wasn't worried about because it WAS JUNE AFTERALL, and I had no source of heat except the van's heater. I'm guessing it was at least 32* as the snow stuck around all day. I WAS MISERABLE! This was due to having food poisoning and no way to heat my van. I left that campsite and went further towards West Yellowstone, at a lower elevation and no snow. The sun came out and the van heated up immediately. 

Two years ago I was traveling from Bryan, Texas to my home in western WA state with the new van mentioned above with no insulation or heating method other than the van heater. I left on March 21, 2015, right after Colorado had a historic snow fall. On my way through Oklahoma I stopped at a Love's and decided to stay the night due to the wind and cold. It had gotten down to 28* with a howling wind. I did have to turn the van heater on in the middle of the night because despite having a 0* sleeping bag, I had forgotten about it and was only using blankets and my cat to stay warm. The following day I noticed the bag and tapped myself in the head. The 0* bag helped a lot the following days of the trip! 

Stay Warm!
CLOUD WOMAN  Big Grin
Add Thank You Reply
13 degrees with a 34 degree sleeping bag, Have a Fleece blanket folded inside, keeps me nice and warm.

Lots of ways to skin a cat.  Best
Add Thank You Reply
It was only for New Years. Wife and I stayed in the van New Years instead of driving home impaired. My ceiling is bare metal. I haven't got to insulating and covering it yet. Didn't realize I was out of propane so no heater. It got down to 3 degrees.

I ended up running the motor for about 6 hours just to keep the temperature somewhat bearable. We used lots of blankets and body heat.
-----------------------------------------------------------
-My advice is always worth what you paid for it.
96 Dodge Ram B3500 - Work in progress.
Add Thank You Reply
Back in my hiking days, I'd sometimes go backpacking in the winter with lows around 20.

Currently I have three sleeping bags, each with a different temp rating, and layer them together as needed. The coldest I've vanned in was around 30, but I am theoretically good down to about zero. But since I follow the weather, it's unusual for me to be in temps that cold.

Living in "Ziggy the Snail Shell" since May 2015
Add Thank You Reply
You will be fine with those bags .
Probably just the first two most of the time.
And add the third if you need it.
I've been doing this all the time since the 80s in
temps down to below zero .
I wear most of my clothes including a fleece top (or two) but just because I don't like getting dressed in the cold ! I could sleep naked if I wanted and still be toasty. Wink
Stay Tuned
popeye

Weirdo Overlord  YARC CRVL edition
12 "Stinkin'Badges"  a "Full Monty Badge" 2 "Just Ignore Me" clusters  4 "Pine Cone" clusters  one "Stinkin' Badger" and 4 of the coveted "Flying Manure Spreader"awards! (What a "Stinkin' " honor !) + ROOIRIA

1981 Travelcraft Class C - 23'
Add Thank You Reply