Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Drumming Circle on Monday 12/15 at the RTR!
Hi All--

I've looked over the forum threads, and (forgive me if I'm wrong) it looks as though there's not one of these started.  I think that drumming (and drumming in circle / playing other percussion instruments) is so great for de-stressing, unwinding, and connecting--while also being energizing at the same time. 

I feel strongly that it's a good thing for people to do, whether you have previous experience or not!  If you don't have a drum or percussion instrument, just find something that you can play:  tupperware, trays, etc. (as long as it 'sounds good to the ear'.  Even a macaroni and cheese box can make a good shaker / maracas.

I'm thinking that Monday would be a good time, as it's a great way to start off the week and 'Drum the Monday Blues Away'! Wink

Location: TBD (with the intention of finding 'the right spot' with consideration of all aspects)

Time: Monday, Jan. 15th at Sunset for an hour or so

Cheers,
Tracy
Tracy Sheppard, M.A.
"Act the way you want to FEEL"--Author Unknown

Add Thank You Reply
The following 2 users say Thank You to TKay for this post:
Cranky Nomad (01-11-2018), Van Man Dave (01-02-2018)
This will need to be at the north camp in the music/generator camp, not in the main camp. There will be signs out pointing to its location.
2015 GMC Savannah 2500 van, 480 watts of Solar Panels--and a wonderful furry best friend named Cody. I'm out to change the world!
Add Thank You Reply
The following 4 users say Thank You to akrvbob for this post:
TKay (01-02-2018), Netter (01-02-2018), Van Man Dave (01-02-2018), SondraRose (01-02-2018)
(01-01-2018, 10:18 PM)akrvbob Wrote: This will need to be at the north camp in the music/generator camp, not in the main camp. There will be signs out pointing to its location.

Bob,

I'm a new member to the group. I have a 21 foot trailer with 160 Watt solar but depending on the weather and other factors I might need to run my portable generator for an hour mid-day ... I hope not to do so..

In addition I visited the Imperial Dam LTVA and sorta of freeked out with the "crowd" 

So ...

I really don't want to be locked into a designated "noisy" area but color me nervous and concerned if I find an "emergency" need to run the generator during the mid-day for an hour one or two days during RTR.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to twotwinpeaks for this post:
Van Man Dave (01-02-2018)
Twotwinpeaks,
You could be camped on the music & generator side, but find yourself a nice spot some distance from them. There's plenty of room for everyone to spread out ;-) So, no worries.
Lisa
Canine co-pilots Mimi and Maka
94 Dodge Ram high top van
71 Yellowstone 19' travel trailer 
Add Thank You Reply
The following 3 users say Thank You to Confetti for this post:
twotwinpeaks (01-02-2018), TKay (01-02-2018), Van Man Dave (01-02-2018)
Music 
Exclamation Maybe some of us musicians that do not want to be lumped in near generators can set up our own area for our activities!!!

Huh I'm not sure when music & Musicians and Generators became mutually exclusive... but I'm with Bob on this one and want to be as far away from noisy generators as I can. I absolutely hate those things.....  I do, however, enjoy creating musical art in a peaceful setting.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?  

Here is a link to a previous thread on the topic:

showthread.php
https://tinyurl.com/y74tm6pa

Proud YARC inductee
Add Thank You Reply
I remember drum circles in past years at RTR's be aware not everyone is a fan I happen to have been a drummer/percussionist most of my early years volume is critical and not
a requirement if you cannot hear the quietest drummer you are too loud.
2015 RTR  adrian.schafgans@gmail.com
Add Thank You Reply
The following 3 users say Thank You to wagoneer for this post:
TKay (01-02-2018), SondraRose (01-02-2018), Van Man Dave (01-02-2018)
(01-02-2018, 05:58 AM)wagoneer Wrote: " if you cannot hear the quietest drummer you are too loud."

Wise words here. There is a tendency amongst some musicians to engage in volume warfare. NOT COOL.

A true sign of an accomplished musician is a respectable volume level while intently listening to others.

" if you cannot hear the quietest ___________ you are too loud."

I could fill in the blank with the word "GENERATOR" as well.  Also many others......

Proud YARC inductee
Add Thank You Reply
(01-01-2018, 08:29 PM)TKay Wrote: Hi All--

I've looked over the forum threads, and (forgive me if I'm wrong) it looks as though there's not one of these started.  I think that drumming (and drumming in circle / playing other percussion instruments) is so great for de-stressing, unwinding, and connecting--while also being energizing at the same time. 

I feel strongly that it's a good thing for people to do, whether you have previous experience or not!  If you don't have a drum or percussion instrument, just find something that you can play:  tupperware, trays, etc. (as long as it 'sounds good to the ear'.  Even a macaroni and cheese box can make a good shaker / maracas.

I'm thinking that Monday would be a good time, as it's a great way to start off the week and 'Drum the Monday Blues Away'! Wink

Location: TBD (with the intention of finding 'the right spot' with consideration of all aspects)

Time: Monday, Jan. 15th at Sunset for an hour or so

Cheers,
Tracy

I remember a really cool medicine circle/rock spiral area we found last year, northwest of the main camp area, that might be an excellent location for a drum circle.

33°39'15.58"N

114° 9'19.13"W 

Link to a Google map:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/33%C2%...14.1553135

Any thoughts on this location?  Too far? Too close?

Idea

Proud YARC inductee
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to Van Man Dave for this post:
TKay (01-02-2018)
Drum tones carry quite a distance, and they get monotonous after about two minutes. May I suggest any drum circle be held farther from camp. Like, oh, Phoenix.
Someone wanted me to put this here: http://rollingsteeltent.blogspot.com/
Add Thank You Reply
The following 5 users say Thank You to MrNoodly for this post:
Nissi (01-05-2018), Cammalu (01-02-2018), mudbunny (01-02-2018), HumbleBeginnings (01-02-2018), Netter (01-02-2018)
(01-02-2018, 09:12 AM)Van Man Dave Wrote: 33°39'15.58"N

114° 9'19.13"W 

Any thoughts on this location?  Too far? Too close?

I'm thinking more like this:  37.712868, -98.978737
Someone wanted me to put this here: http://rollingsteeltent.blogspot.com/
Add Thank You Reply