Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone use a Panasonic BQ-CC17 charger with a MSW inverter?
A few months back I bought one of these that will charge AA or AAA batts individually but I've only used with a residential AC receptacle:

https://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-K-KJ17M...ic+bq+cc17

I have a Cobra 400W inverter that is modified SW and when I hooked up my Craftsman charger for an 18V drill battery, it blew the charger's fuse. But then my Nokia phone charges fine with it.

Anyway, before I plug in this small battery charger I thought I'd see if anyone else has used one with no issues.
1993 Ford E150 conversion

Add Thank You Reply
That is a strange problem.  I would hope strange enough not to happen on a lower draw load.  I use a dual power smart charger:

https://www.amazon.com/Tenergy-Intellige...NGQS/?th=1
-Douglas Tooley

My Blog
Add Thank You Reply
(01-02-2018, 05:09 PM)DLTooley Wrote: That is a strange problem.  I would hope strange enough not to happen on a lower draw load.  I use a dual power smart charger:

https://www.amazon.com/Tenergy-Intellige...NGQS/?th=1

Yeah, I guess the heavier draw of dead 18v battery would be a lot different than an itty bitty AAA.

And your inverter is a MSW?
1993 Ford E150 conversion

Add Thank You Reply
Get battery rechargers that work direct off 12V, much more efficient.

Inverters should only be used when absolutely needed.
Add Thank You Reply
(01-02-2018, 04:47 PM)slow2day Wrote: I have a Cobra 400W inverter that is modified SW and when I hooked up my Craftsman charger for an 18V drill battery, it blew the charger's fuse. But then my Nokia phone charges fine with it.

That's a pretty common problem and warnings about powering power tool chargers are often included in the manuals for MSW inverters. I believe the problem is with battery chargers that are transformer-less. Those charger's circuits need clean power, the waveform of a non-sine inverter can damage them.

It's usually easy to tell a transformerless charger by its lack of "heft".
Add Thank You Reply
The following 2 users say Thank You to bonvanroulez for this post:
DLTooley (01-03-2018), slow2day (01-03-2018)
(01-02-2018, 04:47 PM)slow2day Wrote: I have a Cobra 400W inverter that is modified SW and when I hooked up my Craftsman charger for an 18V drill battery, it blew the charger's fuse. But then my Nokia phone charges fine with it.

You don't say if you are using the supplied ciggy adapter or the supplied alligator clips connected to the battery.  If using the ciggy plug, you are more than likely drawing more power than it can supply.  If using the alligator clips then it may be as stated above.

I have my Energizer 550W hard wired to my house battery and have no trouble charging my 20V Driver battery.  This is the heaviest load I plug into it.
Brian

2000 Roadtrek 200 Versatile "The Beast" (it has been tamed hopefully)  I feed it and it doesn't bite me.
Add Thank You Reply
I know Ryobi has a dedicated 12v charger, $35-40 IIRC.
-Douglas Tooley

My Blog
Add Thank You Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Charger and inverter as two separate devices RoamingKat 14 598 10-24-2017, 05:18 AM
Last Post: John61CT
  Inverter/charger .. where to ground? RoamingKat 22 735 09-21-2017, 09:37 AM
Last Post: RoamingKat
  Help! Inverter research overload! LF or HF? 1k or 2kw? Charger bulit-in? road_ahead 16 718 09-05-2017, 07:53 PM
Last Post: John61CT