Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Generator won’t stay running
Ok so I have a ryobi 2300 Bluetooth generator. It is surging on and off a lot and then it just dies. I am wondering if anybody has any ideas on what could be wrong? I have new gas in it. It has fuel stabilizer in it also. I know nothing about generators so I wouldn’t know where to begin with it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Add Thank You Reply
How long had the old gas with stabilizer been in the tank and how much new gas did you add compared to what was aready in there? Did you dump the old gas out of the tank and fill with fresh gas or just add to what was there? Also make sure there no load on the generator while you are starting it. Usually surging as you described is caused by lack of gas. Small engines have small passages that are easily gummed up. A little Gumout spray carb cleaner can do wonders. Does it have a manual choke? Is any black smoke coming out of the exhaust?
Add Thank You Reply
Do you have the auto-idle turned on? If so turn it off and try. If you unplug the load does it do the same? Fairly new or lots of hours. Has it been in storage?

Guy
"We're all bozos on the bus, so might as well sit back and enjoy the ride."

Wavy Gravy

Add Thank You Reply
(01-02-2018, 10:22 PM)bullfrog Wrote: How long had the old gas with stabilizer been in the tank and how much new gas did you add compared to what was aready in there? Did you dump the old gas out of the tank and fill with fresh gas or just add to what was there? Also make sure there no load on the generator while you are starting it. Usually surging as you described is caused by lack of gas. Small engines have small passages that are easily gummed up. A little Gumout spray carb cleaner can do wonders. Does it have a manual choke? Is any black smoke coming out of the exhaust?

The gas was just added and the old gas is less than a month old that was almost empty. I put no load on it when starting up. Everything is unplugged. I have only been running a 200 watt heater on it to take the chill out so nothing is over loading it. Yes there is a manual choke. It does seem like it isn’t getting any gas. The generator is fairly new and was purchased in November. There is only about 12 hours on it. There is no black smoke coming out either. I can get some of the spray but where would I spray? I have no clue where things are under the plastic casing except the oil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Add Thank You Reply
Ok, back up.

Is this a brand new generator with new fresh gas? If so did you add oil?

Or is this something you bought off craigslist or somewhere else for cheap?

What elevation are you at?

Did it do this from the beginning or just started doing this on the last fill-up?

Clues like this help us figure it out.
Never trust a camp cook with lots of shiny new pans...
Add Thank You Reply
(01-02-2018, 10:22 PM)gsfish Wrote: Do you have the auto-idle turned on? If so turn it off and try. If you unplug the load does it do the same? Fairly new or lots of hours. Has it been in storage?

Guy

Yes the auto idle was on. It is New. Only 12 hours on it and bought it in November. It shuts off even with nothing plugged in. I did try that already.

Add Thank You Reply
This is going to sound really silly but is there an air vent on the gas cap and is it open.

I had the same thing going on with one of my Honda generators and was doing some serious head scratching until I realized that I had closed the air vent for travel and hadn't opened it back up again. The generator would surge, surge and then eventually die.
Worry is a misuse of imagination!

Build link: http://www.cheaprvliving.com/forums/Thre...g-Arabella
Full-timer again as of November 24, 2015 - 14 glorious years on the road before that!

Add Thank You Reply
(01-03-2018, 08:41 PM)Almost There Wrote: This is going to sound really silly but is there an air vent on the gas cap and is it open.

I had the same thing going on with one of my Honda generators and was doing some serious head scratching until I realized that I had closed the air vent for travel and hadn't opened it back up again. The generator would surge, surge and then eventually die.

I don’t think so. I know I never closed anything. I just added gas and then put cap back on and then it started doing this. Worked great 2 nights before that.

Add Thank You Reply
Try loosening the cap but keep an eye on it because if it is full the fuel may vibrate out while running. Try dumping out all the fuel spray a little Gumout carb cleaner in the tank then add some fresh fuel and see what happens. You should let any spilled fuel dry before startng.
Add Thank You Reply
(01-03-2018, 09:02 PM)bullfrog Wrote: Try loosening the cap but keep an eye on it because if it is full the fuel may vibrate out while running. Try dumping out all the fuel spray a little Gumout carb cleaner in the tank then add some fresh fuel and see what happens. You should let any spilled fuel dry before startng.

Can you over fill it? If so could that cause this to happen.

Add Thank You Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Running a portabel generator in the rain. Stevesway 12 6,257 03-23-2015, 11:07 PM
Last Post: flailer
  Anyone Running a Wind Turbines / Generator ? Trekking 4 1,665 04-02-2013, 03:22 AM
Last Post: monical