Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How To Keep Pets Safe & Cool OTR
Hopefully we will be embarking on van life soon. In starting this process we would like to know how others keep their pets safe and cool while on the road. I think that sometimes we will have to leave them in the van when we grocery shop and what have you. How do you keep them from getting too hot?

Also what do you do with them when you go into Mexico for dental or medical stuff?

For info right now we have 4 cats & one dog. All are crate trained and the dog is leash trained and wears a harness (her handle I call it) 24/7/365.
Add Thank You Reply
Hi, I used a styrofoam ice chest modified - a small 12v fan (cut hole in lid for fan to blow down into) , cut another hole up fairly high on a side for a kinda short piece of duct (so the air can vent out thru the duct) & fill with ice. Works for Gypsy & I but don't leave them long (it will drain your battery, ice will melt in fairly short time, ppl WILL break in to "rescue" your pet if they see em & also alot of places don't allow leaving pet or kid in vehicle at all (so make sure they can't be seen & don't make noise) hope this gets you an idea.

As for long trip (Mexico, etc) best find a pet sitter IMO (ie, someone you've met & feel OK about leaving your furry kids with - maybe trade off if they around there crossing the border too)
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to fantym1 for this post:
HerzeleidMeister (02-16-2018)
I've heard about using an ice chest. Does that really keep it kinda cool? I had not thought about people "rescuing" our pets. *Sigh* We have a Jack Russell that barks at everything she hears. If a bird farts outside she barks at it. So keeping them quiet may not happen. Sad
Add Thank You Reply
Some places will prosecute for leaving an animal in a vehicle for long periods, plenty citizens get more worked up over animals than they do about kids.

Unless the A/C is running, I doubt if "subtle" arguments as to how you've got everything figured out will carry much weight.

Maybe a full-time temp data logger showing it never got over 75° or something? Prolly not...
Add Thank You Reply
It keeps Gypsy & I cool for several hours in summer in TX, but I don't park in direct sunlight & you have to be up close to the vent
Add Thank You Reply
(02-16-2018, 11:06 AM)John61CT Wrote: Some places will prosecute for leaving an animal in a vehicle for long periods, plenty citizens get more worked up over animals than they do about kids.

Unless the A/C is running, I doubt if "subtle" arguments as to how you've got everything figured out will carry much weight.

Maybe a full-time temp data logger showing it never got over 75° or something? Prolly not...

I have started looking into something that would tell me via cell phone if the levels are too high or too low. As for places prosecuting, well I agree they should when its warranted. We may just actually look at doing things where one of us stays with the vehicle and the other goes inside somewhere if it would be a long stay inside. Not really sure what we will do yet because we like going out to eat and what have you.

(02-16-2018, 10:43 PM)fantym1 Wrote: It keeps Gypsy & I cool for several hours in summer in TX, but I don't park in direct sunlight & you have to be up close to the vent

Ok thanks for the info. Smile
Add Thank You Reply
(Yesterday, 07:57 AM)HerzeleidMeister Wrote: We may just actually look at doing things where one of us stays with the vehicle and the other goes inside somewhere if it would be a long stay inside. Not really sure what we will do yet because we like going out to eat and what have you.

Some friends of ours do just this.  One stays with the dog while the other one eats, grocery shops, etc.
Brian

2000 Roadtrek 200 Versatile "The Beast" (it has been tamed hopefully)  I feed it and it doesn't bite me.
Add Thank You Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Keeping pets cool in the heat RandaOnTheRoad 13 3,248 07-15-2016, 09:01 AM
Last Post: ArtW