Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Continuous Solenoid Fuse Rating?
As I set out to start ordering components for my permanent electrical system a question arrises...What determines the size amp ANL fuse that goes between my truck battery and continuous solenoid?  FYI...I plan to buy a 200AMP solenoid.  Not sure why, just have heard that more amps the better and more reliable?  I also plan to put an ANL fuse between house battery and the main fuse box.  Again...Any ideas on what I should get size wise?  My battery cable from truck battery to ANL to house battery will be 1AWG.  House battery to main fuse box, most likely 2 or 4AWG due to a short run.  Van electrical use will amount to some LED lights, Fantastic Fan, and computer/phone/iPad charging.

Thanks in advance,
Mark
2015 Chevy Express 2500 Stealth Van named, Seneca Lodge Too.  See you at a racetrack near you soon!
Add Thank You Reply
WELL...DUH...The sticky post right on top of my last question pretty much tells what I'm looking for.
2015 Chevy Express 2500 Stealth Van named, Seneca Lodge Too.  See you at a racetrack near you soon!
Add Thank You Reply
Size the fuses to the size of the cables being protected. There are charts all over the internet. When ever I recommend a chart some expert tells me their's is better. So do a google search. As example; 1AWG cable can be safely fused at 245 amps if in open air. 210 amps if in hot engine space. But be sure to put a fuse at the positive battery terminals, both starter and house. You also need a fuse on the trigger circuit for the solenoid.
Add Thank You Reply
I used 60 amp on my E150 van. One fuse near positive posts of both batteries. Ove a year full time.
GuitarVanMan
Have guitar will travel.
Add Thank You Reply
What are your loads ?
Add Thank You Reply
It is safe to use a fuse smaller amp rating than what the cable can handle. But a fuse is another resistance causing more voltage drop. That is the reason to use a larger fuse. In a charging circuit every bit of electric counts. "The fuse protects the wire."
Add Thank You Reply
Thanks Weight. I'm planning on using 150A ANL fuses to/from solenoid on 1awg cables. What are your thoughts on the fuse size from hot wire from fuse box to continuous solenoid? 200A CS, probably be using 12-16 gauge wire....15A?
Add Thank You Reply
I don't know what your solenoid exciter draws. Most are only 1 or 2 amps. 16 awg is safe for 20amps. A qualifier: I use wire rated at 105C temperature. HomeDepot or auto store wire may be lesser, and safely carry lower amps.
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to Weight for this post:
Artsyguy (02-16-2018)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Questions about continuous duty solenoid Lizzarro 23 3,077 07-26-2017, 05:21 AM
Last Post: Trebor English
  Solenoid Fuse Activation: Best Route? riggyk 3 393 06-12-2017, 08:38 AM
Last Post: Optimistic Paranoid
  Help with continuous duty solenoid installation TooManyDogs 17 2,172 01-26-2017, 11:48 AM
Last Post: SternWake