Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stealth parking in New York City
In AZ, my cargo van is titled as a personal vehicle, as long as it's under 10K#.

But interestingly enough, when Hubby went to finance his van, Navy Fed Credit Union wouldn't loan on a cargo van, because it is considered commercial, even if for personal use.  Ended up with another credit union, Vantage West (all over Arizona) who would loan on a commercial vehicle for personal use as long as it's under 10K#. Go figure.
Ted
Add Thank You Reply
Just don't get buried in a blizzard. Big Grin
Someone wanted me to put this here: http://rollingsteeltent.blogspot.com/
Add Thank You Reply
(08-12-2017, 10:06 AM)chrisbarclay Wrote: Was Bob Wells wrong?  
<-------->
Also considering eventually getting a 30 ft boat and living in that for at least part of the year.

I didn't say anybody was wrong! Remember, all that participate in this kinder, gentler forum get trophy? Big Grin
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What I "did" say is that I have registered both a 99 one ton GMC box truck, and, an 03 three quarter ton cargo van as personal vehicles in Nevada. The trick was under 10K lbs.
 My friend still has medium sized diesel trucks, one goose neck hauler, and one dump, both registered as personal vehicles. This was all within the last few years. I am no longer in Nevada.  Your mileage may vary.
PS, I had once upon a time planned to live aboard a 30 ft sailboat in the PNW. Minds do change I guess. Tongue
Doing the Van thing since the early eighties.
Add Thank You Reply
(08-12-2017, 10:06 AM)chrisbarclay Wrote: From what I understand, it's actually not illegal to live in a car, van, rv or whatever in the streets of New York City.

That is correct. I mentioned that upthread.

(08-12-2017, 10:06 AM)chrisbarclay Wrote: Here's my plan, I'll be getting an older Toyota Sienna, I will toss out all seats but the drivers seat. Put in some kind of bed and a porta potti.  Register in South Dekota (No taxes) but spend 9 months of the year in the Big Apple.

I will live in whatever neighborhood strikes my mood. Spend time in the Hamptons, Vermont and Maine.

I really like your plan! Would you be keeping anything in storage or at a gym as well? I live in NYC now, and don't have a vehicle yet, but my plan is similar to yours. My problem with making it happen is I am totally broke right now, but I will do it!

(08-12-2017, 10:06 AM)chrisbarclay Wrote: One thing about New York City is the fact that it now has free and fast Wi Fi. I can sit in my car with a laptop and cell phone and do a Network Marketing business. I avoid all the big expenses of living in this city, I own my "home" and answer to no one. Also considering eventually getting a 30 ft boat and living in that for at least part of the year.

You are already in NYC, correct? The free wifi isn't everywhere, and you have to be near one of the kiosks. I don't know how fast it is, but I wish I could get it in my apartment! But most of the parks have it. Plus it's easy enough to park near some business that has free wifi that doesn't need a password (although the Starbucks near me turns it off now when they close for the night).
Add Thank You Reply
I am glad you have the option of how you register your vehicles in other states but in NYState our pickup truck HAD to be registered as commercial because of the vehicle weight.  We only got it to tow our 5th wheel camper.  It also has full double doors and seats in it. So having a seat behind the driver's seat makes no difference. Even though it is our personal vehicle and the only vehicle we owned it had to be registered with Commercial Plates.  They go by vehicle weight. It is registered in my name, no business involved at all.  Which means when we visit our daughter and her family in the NYcity area we got 2 tickets for parking on the residental streets on the Sunday after Christmas 2 years ago.  And they wrote two big tickets at the same time (about 4am Sunday morning)   There are no signs stating you can't park on residental streets with a vehicle with commercial plates. You are just supposed to know you can't park there.  Now we have to rent a car in order to go visit our daughter in NYCity.
Add Thank You Reply
Here in Ontario Canada, pickup trucks and commercial vans have commercial plates. The owner can put a "For personal use only" sticker on the plate too. He can then haul his trailer or use the pickup/van as his personal vehicle. You are not to use it for commercial use though.
Add Thank You Reply
Hi, new here so I apologize if this is a stupid question. But can anyone recommend some areas to look for parking in the NYC area? This would be for a 25 foot shuttle bus. I'm planning on keeping it stealth as much as possible, and only a short-term stay -- no more than a week. I would prefer to be in the city, but I could also stay in New Jersey and take a bus or train in. I just need someplace where parking is readily available, where I won't be shot by gang members or hassled by the cops. I would not have NY plates.
Add Thank You Reply
Look at which Walmart's in your area allow it. They are usually pretty safe and plenty of room.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Add Thank You Reply
(09-21-2017, 06:35 PM)FreeWheelinTravel Wrote: Hi . . . can anyone recommend some areas to look for parking in the NYC area? This would be for a 25 foot shuttle bus. I'm planning on keeping it stealth as much as possible, and only a short-term stay -- no more than a week. I would prefer to be in the city, but I could also stay in New Jersey and take a bus or train in. I just need someplace where parking is readily available, where I won't be shot by gang members or hassled by the cops. I would not have NY plates.

(09-21-2017, 07:51 PM)Kia girl Wrote: Look at which Walmart's in your area allow it. They are usually pretty safe and plenty of room.

There are no Walmarts in NYC.

There aren't very many parking lots, either -- not for free, anyway. I would just look for a quiet neighborhood (maybe upper east side close to the East River, near the hospitals) and park on the street. But you would need to move it or sit in it every few days for the street cleaning vehicles.
Add Thank You Reply
(03-29-2017, 08:54 AM)chrisbarclay Wrote: Commercial is commercial....any state. You shouldn't have registered in CA. Your best bet would be Arizona. They will change the title.

I live in California and am planning to start living in a (probably cargo) van starting when it gets warmer. Do I have to use commercial plates and will that haunt me when traveling around the country? It seems like cargo cans are usually recommended for stealth. Is registering in a different state difficult?
Add Thank You Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New city law would ban RV camping in Anchorage parking lots cyndi 8 2,515 03-11-2016, 07:31 PM
Last Post: buckwilk
  Is stealth a big deal in a city like Los Angeles? citytravelfotos 25 12,285 04-10-2015, 01:52 AM
Last Post: LosAngelesVandweller
  Stealth Parking in TX, NC, OR KatnCarl 18 7,264 01-27-2014, 12:19 PM
Last Post: bvanevery