Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Any SUV dwellers?
Hi folks,

I'm new here, but I've been reading these threads for a little while now, and have been seriously thinking about/planning to hit the road for the past year. I'm still getting organized and gathering supplies (like today I bought a 40qt Max cold cooler, and am browsing Amazon right now for power inverters), but figure I'll have everything I need and be ready to go within the next 3-6 months. When I do, it'll be in a Dodge Durango.

[Image: 800px-Dodge-Durango.jpg]

I think it'll be a good fit, since I need a vehicle for both stealth and camping purposes. I plan to travel extensively and see as much of the country as I can, both urban areas and the sticks, so I figure an SUV will blend in anywhere. And if I fold the rear seats down there's enough room to stretch out completely for a comfortable night's sleep. Also the 4WD will come in handy for any back country driving.

I'm pretty minimalist, so I don't think I'll need all the creature comforts of an RV or van, plus get better gas mileage and be easier to drive around in than a larger vehicle.

Any thoughts or suggestions?
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to Johnny Utah for this post:
007pandas (11-12-2017)
Welcome Smile

I'm sure you'll pick up lots of hints around here.
Since you probably have only one battery you'll want a basic inverter, like a 75 W. Need to really watch your night usage or you'll be looking for a jump in the morning.
----------------------------------
Jay and Margie. 92 Dodge Maxi van. 300 watts Renogy solar, 2X 6volt deep cycle @ 230Ah.

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. ~Edward Abbey
Add Thank You Reply
Problems:
1. Lack of storage space
2. Where to you go to the toilet, bathe?
3. Where do you prepare food?

I really think the minimum is either a van, a truck camper, or a vehicle/trailer combination.
Add Thank You Reply
(12-19-2013, 08:53 PM)PastTense Wrote: Problems:
1. Lack of storage space

I really think the minimum is either a van, a truck camper, or a vehicle/trailer combination.

what may be a "Problem" in your eyes, may not be in anothers.

we all have our own different comfort levels...and I've seen this pushed to the outter limits on both scales.

btw, Johnny....we have several SUV dwellers on here.

I'm sure they'll find this thread in short order.\

Welcome! Big Grin
"Good Times & Good Friends Make Life Better!" Big Grin
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to Patrick46 for this post:
frater secessus (06-07-2017)
Have you thought of removing the seats, rather than just laying them down? I spent the best part of half a year in a Dodge Caravan, some years ago. We took out the seats, other than the front, which gave tons of room to sleep and for necessities. I don't know how the Durango compares with the Caravan, for size.

Lifey
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to Lifemagician for this post:
frater secessus (06-07-2017)
Yeah, I got an SUV that I live in.
Actually, a "semi"-SUV (2012 Subaru Forester).

I don't share pics of MY rig, for the sake of stealth purposes, but here's some interior pics of some Foresters that are similar to how I have mine.

[Image: 33551d1320882241-sleeping-back-merged-thread-bed-3.jpg]

Here's something that I am in the process of (pertaining to the fabrication of some insulated window coverings) not having the shiny side facing outwardly (only black fabric):

[Image: 55444_00mg.jpg]

I would never take out the seats in mine, since I plan on reselling the vehicle some day.
Also, I would never add a wood platform to make a bed in the cargo section, since I wouldn't want to waste valuable forest resources (trees & etc.), not to mention that I'd need the extra headroom in the back.
Add Thank You Reply
(12-19-2013, 08:53 PM)PastTense Wrote: Problems:
1. Lack of storage space

I don't expect life to be the same as in a fixed residence, so I'm prepared for the challenges/difficulties of living out of an SUV.

1. I don't plan to have a ton of stuff crammed in the car with me. Just a minimal amount of clothing, supplies and equipment, etc. By the time I'm ready to embark I'll have narrowed this list down to the bare essentials. All other stuff will be put into storage.

2. I'll either be camping, at a rest stop, truck stop, or in some urban setting. So I'll be able to find a bathroom somewhere or I'll be out in nature, and a bucket and toilet lid should be adequate then. As for bathing, I'll have a gym membership to Planet fitness which has locations in nearly every state that I can shower in, or sponge baths, baby wipes for when I'm camping.

3. As for food I'll have to simplify my diet. I have a small camp stove I can cook with at campsites, rest areas and parks, along with a hot plate when I'm staying in a motel or even in the car with an inverter to heat up soup, ramen and other simple meals. A 5 day max cold cooler for extended refrigeration if I need it. Lastly, I'll probably be healthier living off staples like PB&J, fresh fruit and vegetables, hard boiled eggs, granola bars, etc along with the occasional visit to a restaurant.

Again, I'm aware that you'll be a lot more comfortable in a larger vehicle that can provide the amenities of home, but I'm willing to trade those for the convenience of blending in, better gas mileage, ease of getting around and so forth.

(12-20-2013, 08:02 AM)Lifemagician Wrote: Have you thought of removing the seats, rather than just laying them down? I spent the best part of half a year in a Dodge Caravan, some years ago. We took out the seats, other than the front, which gave tons of room to sleep and for necessities. I don't know how the Durango compares with the Caravan, for size.

Lifey

I don't think I'll need to make any modifications. There's enough space for me to stretch out completely, and sit up in back without my head hitting the ceiling. And I'm not sure I could even if I wanted to, SUV's are designed differently from minivans. I envision a setup similar to the Subaru above with my gear on one side and me sleeping on the other. Plus, I'll be travelling alone so I can use the footwells in the passenger and rear seats for storage as well to reduce the amount of clutter in the back. My bed is going to be simple: a large folding memory foam bathmat on top of a rollup camping mat. That should provide plenty of cushioning for very little space, and can be broken down and put away easily. When all said and done, no one should even be able to tell it's being lived-in. If I find I need more space I'll look into getting a cargo container for the roof, but even that is kind of a tip-off.

p.s. those insulation panels covering the windows are nice! I'll have to look into something like that. I was planning on fashioning some curtains for privacy with black fabric and velcro, but something like that would be way more convenient.
Add Thank You Reply
With a single battery I wouldn't want to use an inverter and hotplate. I won't even do that on our RV battery bank.
You might need to read some of the threads with info on batteries, inverters, and even solar posts.
If you have questions there are some very knowledgeable people here.

We've met a few people dwelling in cars. I'd think an SUV would seem roomy to them.
----------------------------------
Jay and Margie. 92 Dodge Maxi van. 300 watts Renogy solar, 2X 6volt deep cycle @ 230Ah.

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. ~Edward Abbey
Add Thank You Reply
(12-20-2013, 11:27 AM)Johnny Utah Wrote: ... SUVs are designed differently from minivans.

You'll have to excuse my ignorance. I had always thought it was two different names for the same thing.

I am quite familiar with the Forester, and see how different it is from the Caravan. (I am not familiar with the Durango.)

Lifey
Add Thank You Reply
"1. I don't plan to have a ton of stuff crammed in the car with me. Just a minimal amount of clothing, supplies and equipment, etc. By the time I'm ready to embark I'll have narrowed this list down to the bare essentials. All other stuff will be put into storage."

Again I don't see where you are going to store this minimal amount of stuff. In the back? But this is where you are sleeping. So every time you want to sleep you have to take it out and put it into the front seat. Or you say you will be buying food and other supplies almost every day? This is going to increase your cost--the travel cost and buying at more expensive places.
Add Thank You Reply