Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
My Road Tripper
I found some inspiration for my road trip vehicle when I decided to do a Google search for my daily driver, a Kia Soul along with the word camper.

Here's what I found:

http://www.votivephotography.com/blog/ca...g-sleeping

http://www.kiasoulforums.com/2-soul-gene...-soul.html

After seeing these, I took a few measurements ad confirmed that, yes there is 5'-11" between the front seat and the hatchback with the front seats all the way forward and tilted towards the front. There's an ice chest/cooler built in behind the rear seat, under the floor, so that should handle my refrigeration needs well enough. This leaves the relatively minor challenges of filling in the gap between the folded down rear seat and the front seats, power for my laptop and cell phone, curtaining off the rear for privacy and outfitting the car for the road.

Some of my summer overtime will go towards outfitting the car. As for the rest, I just need to brush the rust off my carpentry and sewing skills. I can use the scene shop at work for building whatever I need to build and the costume shop for the curtains after hours in the fall, so I'm pretty well set for the build.

Now I just need time to work on it. That will come in September.Big Grin
Add Thank You Reply
The following 2 users say Thank You to sephson for this post:
lifecoachontheroad (10-17-2016), Prisoner Of Knowledge (09-03-2014)
Careful....you may end up with curtains that look like Cleopatra's dress!!!! Tongue

Have fun with the build, and don't forget our pictures!! Big Grin
"Good Times & Good Friends Make Life Better!" Big Grin
Add Thank You Reply
Stephson,
I lived for 2-3 months at a time for four years out of a Subaru Forester. Almost exclusively boondocking, so I didn't bother with curtains. I removed the front passenger seat and built a platform with plastic bins. My bed was ~8' long by 30" wide; plenty of room to stretch. Taking out the front seat gave me about 3 cu ft more storage. If I had taken out the back seat, I could have added ~ 5 cu ft more. I was able to boondock for 8 days without going back into civilization. I would be glad to help with any questions or ideas you have -- Spiff

P.S. Spent 15 years doing theater and concert lighting; design, program and run.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Add Thank You Reply
The following 4 users say Thank You to Spaceman Spiff for this post:
whatsananna (11-07-2017), mert6706 (10-01-2017), frater secessus (09-20-2017), Prisoner Of Knowledge (09-03-2014)
I started work on my Road Tripper this afternoon. I've begun with the installation of rain guards on the windows.

That's it for the exterior. I also began work on the sleeping area. I'll post photos of that when the design is a little more solid and I have time to work on it.
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to sephson for this post:
Prisoner Of Knowledge (09-03-2014)
This is perfect! A relative just gave me an Isuzu Trooper, and I've been trying to figure out how to make it a camper. I love the woods, but I didn't have a 4WD.

I have loads of ideas about vans (mostly from this site, these guys are good at what they do.), but a Trooper is so much smaller. Besides I'm 6'3" 215lbs, so I need a big bed.

I'm watching closely, good luck to you. Be well - Slim.
Add Thank You Reply
(09-03-2014, 11:48 PM)Prisoner Of Knowledge Wrote: This is perfect! A relative just gave me an Isuzu Trooper, and I've been trying to figure out how to make it a camper. I love the woods, but I didn't have a 4WD.

I have loads of ideas about vans (mostly from this site, these guys are good at what they do.), but a Trooper is so much smaller. Besides I'm 6'3" 215lbs, so I need a big bed.

I'm watching closely, good luck to you. Be well - Slim.

Best of luck to you on your Trooper. It should be a fun little project.

As for my Soul, it most certainly is not a 4WD vehicle, so that puts a few limitations on where I can go, but on the plus side its got nine inches of ground clearance, which is pretty good for a compact car.

Fortunately for me, at 5'-8", I'll fit pretty well into the sleeping area once I get it built.

The real trick here is that I'm trying to avoid making any major changes to the vehicle itself. Other than the rain deflectors, everything should be removable or collapsible so that the car will still be usable as a passenger vehicle.
Add Thank You Reply
(09-04-2014, 01:15 AM)sephson Wrote: Best of luck to you on your Trooper. It should be a fun little project.

As for my Soul, it most certainly is not a 4WD vehicle, so that puts a few limitations on where I can go, but on the plus side its got nine inches of ground clearance, which is pretty good for a compact car.

Fortunately for me, at 5'-8", I'll fit pretty well into the sleeping area once I get it built.

The real trick here is that I'm trying to avoid making any major changes to the vehicle itself. Other than the rain deflectors, everything should be removable or collapsible so that the car will still be usable as a passenger vehicle.

Haha! The one time in my life I wish to not be so tall! And that's a lot of Ground Clearance for a car...but I've driven one and I loved it! This is what I call ingenuitive...
Add Thank You Reply
Stepson,

I love seeing your build from the start. I am not really inclined to do anything lol so rainguards will be a challenge for me, but I guess that's where I need to begin too. Please keep us updated. When is your day to hit the road?
Add Thank You Reply
No specific date in mind. I'll be working on it as time permits in my after work hours. Fortunately the fall is a pretty light schedule for the most part for me. Right now we're in the process of tearing apart the summer show, then it's on to equipment maintenance. My October show cancelled, so that opens up some time I wasn't expecting. I'll probably do a trial run in early to mid October to see how well my setup works, then go from there.

The rain guards were fairly easy. I looked up a few youtube videos on how to do it before I tackled the project. Even with having to remove both of my side mirrors, it took less than an hour to install the things, and more importantly, how to remove my side mirrors without damaging them.

The real challenge was finding a relatively inexpensive set of rain guards. After a bit of shopping around I found what I was looking for at a decent price, $53.80 including tax, shipping and handling for all four windows. A google search of your vehicle's year, make and model along with "rain deflector" will bring up a number of options for suppliers.
Add Thank You Reply
I have found Amazon a good place to find and order vehicle parts. Not always the cheapest, but my Amazon Prime account makes shipping often free.
This forum is on probation again.  Bob, turn your PMs on!
Add Thank You Reply