Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
My Road Tripper
Thank you for the comments everyone. While it's eating up a lot of my free time, I'm really enjoying this project. It's a lot of fun working the rust off of skills I just don't have the opportunity to use that often.
Add Thank You Reply
I was going to post some pictures yesterday, but I lost the cable that connects my camera to my computer. I replaced the cable and now have pictures to post, so here goes.

The bulk of the conversion work is done, so now it's down to the details.

I've been playing around with the idea of tarping off the hatchback area for a shower area.

42 lb. pull strength, rectangular, encased ceramic magnets hold the tarps to the hatch. For this test I attached the tarp bottoms to sand bags. I need to get some stakes for campsite ground attachment. I also need more tarps.

Window Coverings:

I made these by cutting scrap pieces of black duvetyne fabric to fit each window except for the windshield. They're held in place by a few more of the magnets that hold the shelf in place. There are many advantages to the duvie as window coverings; I have ready access to scraps, when in place they make the windows appear to simply be darkly tinted, and since it is intended for use on stages the fabric has been treated with a fire retardant. There is, however, one major disadvantage. They have the UV resistance of the bastard child of an albino and a red head. Ultimately, if I want them to last, I need to come up with another material for my window coverings, but in the short term, they'll be fine.

Now for my gear. Bear in mind that this is still a work in progress. That said, if anyone has any suggestions for improvements, feel free to chime in. I'll appreciate the input.

Cot size air matress:

It's a perfect fit.

There's just enough room for me to stretch out.

The basic camp setup:

There's a roll top table, a folding chair, complete with footrest, a Coleman camp stove, some assorted cookware, a small cooler and a box of assorted camping supplies that I got from one of my sisters.

The table collapses into a very compact unit, which given my limited space is critical.

I also have a small tent, should I decide I'd rather camp out than sleep in the car.

I got the tent for free and it doesn't take up all that much space.

My toilet:

I picked this unit because it collapses down to briefcase size for easy storage.

Add Thank You Reply
If one of the moderators knows how to rotate that last image 90 degrees, could you please do so?

Thank you.

Tothemoonandback asked earlier about what I intend to do for power. Here's my system.

Not the latest and the greatest by any stretch of the imagination, but it should meet my needs nicely.

Here's all my gear packed away. Believe it or not, it all fits in the cargo area without having to fold down the rear seat.

Basically I can go from road tripper to passenger car without having to unload my gear.

That takes care of yesterday's photos. Now on to today's work.

Today I rearranged the spare tire area a bit. Here's how it was:

[Image: attachment.php?aid=1509]

Here's everything I'm trying to fit in there:

On the left is what came with the car, some tire patch goop and a small air compressor. At center there's everything that came with the spare tire, the donut tire and rim, a lug wrench and a scissor jack. On the right is everything I'm adding, a pair of bottle jacks, two plywood disks and a 3 ft. length of 3/4 in. EMT conduit. There are also a few small towels.

The jacks are each wrapped with a towel for padding. There's another towel in the wheel under the plywood disks. The tire repair goo is just randomly tossed in. The towels serve the duel purpose of padding items and providing something I can wipe my hands on. The lug wrench and conduit are in the underfloor storage tray rather than the tire compartment.

In the bin is a set of jumper cables that my dad gave me a few years before he died and a come-along that I'm borrowing from my employer. Note the lack of quotation marks. My employer will get the come-along back in the same condition it's in now when I buy my own.

The bin stores under the driver's seat while the handle fits in my under floor storage.
Add Thank You Reply
"They have the UV resistance of the bastard child of an albino and a red head." Love the way with words!
And a shower with a skylight! Classy! :-)

Making a tiny car 'livable' is reminding me of NASA and their space capsules - fitting full living capability into the smallest available space!
This forum is on probation again.  Bob, turn your PMs on!
Add Thank You Reply
So organized. Great set up.Smile Jan
Add Thank You Reply
you are getting it done. congrats. highdesertranger
Add Thank You Reply
I've done a bit more work on the finishing touches for my road tripper.

While the magnet and cloth approach works well for the window coverings on the side windows and the rear hatch, I had to come up with something else for the windshield.

Eclipse Sun Shade

I only have so much space to work with, so I opted for something I could permanently mount rather than trying to find storage space to yet another item.

I had to modify it a little do to a 3/4 in. gap on either side of windshield, which would make for quite the light leak. I simply attached some foam weather stripping to the shade in order to fill the gap.

It attaches directly to the windshield by way of mounting brackets with double sided tape.

I need to give the adhesive 24 hours of curing time, so I'll have to wait to post picks of the finished installation.

I've also figured out how to make use of my shower area.

I picked up this small sprayer at Home Depot for about $7. It holds 1.75 liters, or a bit less than half a gallon. With a little experimenting at home, I've determined that this is actually enough water to get clean from head to toe, including washing my long hair. It can be a little awkward to use, but I think that's more a matter of unfamiliarity than anything else.

I even got a chance to try out the sleeping area over the weekend. I had a late night gig on Saturday followed by an early morning call time on Sunday, so I set up my car bed and slept at the venue. Big Grin

Saturday's Gig
Add Thank You Reply
Here are the promised photos of the completed windshield sun shade installation.

Add Thank You Reply
You have done a great job on this. Thanks for the play by play. I am just about ready to start things myself.
Add Thank You Reply
In the fourth pic above, I can see through the glass to the outside. Might need another bit of Velcro tape to get a total light seal?
This forum is on probation again.  Bob, turn your PMs on!
Add Thank You Reply