VanDweller Community Forums

Full Version: How to get the best night’s sleep on an air mattress
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The author states that these tips don't pertain to those living in a vehicle. I disagree. I have never used heat in my rig. Now, while I am in a car, these tips could be invaluable.

http://thenextchallenge.org/best-sleep-air-mattress/
You wanna be a bad gurl? OK spank spank spank, hug
Good advice in that article by the way
Yep, thanks for the link.
I'm not sure how those tips apply to the title of the article.

We sleep on an air mattress (full sized) we bought from Wal-Mart's camping section. An air mattress tends to be cold to sleep on. We added a 3" thick memory foam mattress topper to the bed. That evened out the dips and pockets in the mattress. Then we added a (queen sized) 110vAC heated mattress pad on top of the foam topper to make it nicer in the cold winters. This is the closest we have found to getting the same "sleep" as our heated waterbed. We do not run the heated pad in the summer but do leave it on the bed year round. I do have to buy sheets made for "thick" mattresses. During the winter, we turn our heat down a lot overnight.
Air foam type sleeping bag mattresses are the stuff when it comes to sleeping on the ground.
Air mattresses are the coldest damn things in the winter, unless you have a heated pad, such as Rose's. I've had some pretty uncomfortable nights on one. They're also a hassle when traveling in different altitudes.

I'll stick with my real mattress, thank you Wink
The grandkids are with us now. One of them is sleeping on an air mattress on the floor. The RV is heated, but the floor still gets cold. We have a rug and a folded quilt under the mattress to insulate it from the floor, another on top for insulation and protection from dog toe nails, and a good sleeping bag on top of that. A bit of trouble to set up and break down each day, but a good night's sleep for him is definitely worth it.
My last air mattress just died (holes). It lasted 8 months of me sleeping every night on it before it started getting holes in it. I would patch em and the patch wouldn't hold or another hole would surface. This was a $150 air mattress from Target. I don't they are meant for continuous use, more for guests a few nights a month. I will it say it was very comfortable. I have switched to a foam mattress which is just as comfortable.
We don't have room for 2 15-yr-olds to stay with us for 3 weeks without using the air mattress. Hope it lasts that long. Of course, it may not have to. Yesterday, they took off hiking together. We did not find out until one of them came back that the other had decided to climb up St Elmo's Peak (in SD, a climb of about 1250 rugged ft), with one bottle of water, in sneakers with worn-out soles, on the side with few tourist trails, BY HIMSELF! There was no way either DH ot I could go up after him or even find him - unless we followed group of vultures that seemed to be following him in hopes of a fresh meal.

He had been talking about climbing that hill for 2 days, but we didn't take it seriously. When he finally got some bars on his tmobile phone, he was nearly at the top. Then, it was more nail biting time as we watched the vultures follow him down. If he keeps this up, he may not live out the rest of his visit. We decided to at least give him a fighting chance at it and stopped on the way to Devil's Tower to buy him and his brother some decent hiking boots.
I have never had the much-vaunted 'cold' problem with air mattresses. A feller on a camping forum I am on insists the air mattress will suck the warmth from my body in as much as fifty degree weather. According to his theory, this murderous device killed me by hypothermia many years ago....... HAHA......
I have used it in temps down to the low twenties in a tent, and was occasionally needing to open the blanket to release excess heat. I do prepare for colder weather - a closed cell foam pad under the air mattress for protection from twigs and realistic temp problems, then a wool blend GI blanket on top of the air mattress to prevent the flocking making rolling over difficult, and a good thick comforter blanket or fully opened sleeping bag (closed sleeping bag is too confining). I sleep better than at home on my 'real' bed.
As I tell that self-proclaimed 'scientist' on the camping forum, some 'theory' from a moldy century old science book is no match for real-world testing and experience. Or maybe I am a Zombie-Camper all these years........