VanDweller Community Forums

Full Version: Anyone else use tablet computers?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Any others on here use the Tablet type devices? I ended up getting a Galaxy S tab a while ago not for the fads but because I remembered from when I was homeless before how convenient it was to have a flate slate like thing to slip in an out of my bag or coat pocket when travelling all over. Also stows away nicely in a small vehicle or tent and can hold on a cheap dash suction mount for gps, geocaching, war driving etc.

What is everyone elses thoughts on these things and using them?
They're okay... Windows RT is garbage, but it's hard to find a nice tablet to run real windows without breaking the bank. I have an ASUS T100 that has Windows 8.1, but it's very slow with it (as expected with that hardware). A small laptop would be preferable to me.
I use my kindle fire hd a tremendous amount since being mobile full time. It uses less power and is much more convenient than my laptop most of the time. 7 inch screen and 1900x1080 resolution it tackles most anything I throw at it (except things that require flash).
(09-26-2014, 09:33 PM)kyonu Wrote: [ -> ]They're okay... Windows RT is garbage, but it's hard to find a nice tablet to run real windows without breaking the bank. I have an ASUS T100 that has Windows 8.1, but it's very slow with it (as expected with that hardware). A small laptop would be preferable to me.

Yeah I don't even like running windows on a computer as well either. I had a razer edge that ran it decently tho. Linux is something to look at and easy to install on tabs and phones if you want a computer OS.

(09-26-2014, 09:54 PM)riffraff Wrote: [ -> ]I use my kindle fire hd a tremendous amount since being mobile full time. It uses less power and is much more convenient than my laptop most of the time. 7 inch screen and 1900x1080 resolution it tackles most anything I throw at it (except things that require flash).

Right on. Do those run android or does amazon make its own version of an OS? The power efficiency is a nice thing tho. I can charge fast and run all day on a little 5 watt panel.
I love my iPad Mini, it's also how I communicate with all the hearing people who don't know ASL.

No experience with Android or Windows tablets. I imagine they are similar in capabilities.

Mine has Verizon built-in (for a monthly service cost) and is definitely useful.
i use mine for everything but games now..power consumption is just too good. i tried kindle but it uses an extremely modified version of android that basically locks you into thier content and appstore. i found a lot of apps and games were out of date and not updated compared to the google play versions. I have the kindle app on my android tablet so i get the benefits of both, just cant watch amazon vids. also i can get an archived flash on this tab, its buggy but it does work, so can watch most any video mqde in flash (amazon uses silverlight :\).
I use a Nexus 10 for maps, news and watching movies.
I use an Asus Eee as an E-reader - I have both the Nook and Kindle apps on it - and for casual web browsing. I need a real keyboard and mouse for serious work.

Regards
John
small laptop for me running win 7
I won't say I'll never get a tablet, but I do a lot of photo work. A small device simply doesn't have the capability I need........ yet.
Pages: 1 2 3 4