VanDweller Community Forums

Full Version: Looking down on the car/vandweller.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
http://www.portlandrescuemission.org/lea...ess-sleep/

Is this really accurate cuz while it can be true I find your usually good if you use common sense as with everything else. I don't see why try to make it look pitiful and like your some sort of loser. It always seemed more relaxing and peaceful to me but than again it's hard to see things caught up in a materialistic rat race.

Quote: 2. Cars
Living out of a vehicle may seem like a bearable solution to losing one’s home. But when your home is on four wheels, it’s impossible to sit still. Each day, you must be on the go to evade authorities and the expensive citations for illegal parking or sleeping in a vehicle (Yes, there are ordinances against this.). You sleep with one eye open; you can never be perfectly at ease. And the nomadic lifestyle makes it difficult for homeless organizations to stay in touch to provide help.
I often wonder if there is a co-dependency thing going on between those who need help and those who spend their life helping them. Like it validates their existence, or something.

It's almost like: "If you're mobile, we can't find you. If we can't find you, we can't help you. And you really, really need our help, so get out of the damn vans!"

Regards
John
Their biggest fault is in trying to paint all vehicle-dwellers as 'homeless' and 'evading authorities', and in 'needing their help'. They are looking to victimize an entire class of folks, so they can impose their rules upon the freedom loving people. I don't want to get political here, but there is a name for such over-controlling people......
Categorizing, stereotyping and generalizing are tools used to dehumanize and degrade. Always have been, always will be.
IMHO, if people need help, they will usually seek it out. Otherwise, leave them the hell alone.
"But all of these overnight accommodations are completely unacceptable for regular human habitation."

well, who set this standard??

oh, that's right....YOU did. (but of course, they have an agenda to go along wiith this standardization, too.)

I feel like sending them a nasty letter.
Myself, I see no real difference between those well-heeled individuals who full-time in their $400,000 rolling MacMansions and those here who full-time in their vans. Just a matter of degree. And the van-dweller OWNS his wheel-estate, while many of those big-timers have simply another form of mortgage.

Donedirtcheap

It's to their advantage to bring everyone that they can under their umbrella. They have a self interest. There are jobs for these people at stake. They are not bad people and some may truly care but many still have a job, benefits and an interest in growing the system.
Patronizing and paternalistic.
My personal 'state of being' is anathema to 'the nanny state'......
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5