VanDweller Community Forums

Full Version: Condensation......AGAIN!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
I thought I'd chased down all the problem areas. Ha! Wrong.
I have a 24' TT with the bunk bed. I took out the upper so I could sit up in bed. Both foam mattresses are on the bottom. I just felt between the bed and the outside wall. It's not damp, it's WET! Threw away one of my pillows from being moldy. I never get sick, but I've had a bad cough now for 2 weeks. Now I know why.
So, now what? Cut the foam to be 2" narrower? Slide some coroplast or ? between the wall and bed? I have a small fan aimed at the window for the condensation on the glass and frame. I leave the a/c on fan only most of the time, even though it's now 27 at night. Oh, and a box fan going all the time too. All in the attempt to keep adequate air circulation. I'm using a propane forced air furnace for heat. I understand propane contributes moisture. I tried last winter to use a radiator type electric heater, but costly.
I'm stuck in western WA for the winter it seems, so the dampness won't be going away anytime soon. What a switch. Palm Springs to here. Sheesh...
Ideas much appreciated, as always.
I had the same problem in my TT last winter and I was using electric heat. I bought the foam board insulation with a moisture barrier on one side, cut it the depth of the mattress and slid it between the mattress and wall. It worked. Also, I am in a drier area than WA so whether this would work for you or not, I don't know.
Have you tried a dehumidifier yet?
Okay, Stargazer, I have put in the foam board with barrier. Hopefully that will resolve the problem! As for the dehumidifier, Almost There, that is also on the list to get. Only hesitation on that is the space it takes. 21' of actual living space, 2 adults and one really big dog. I'll report back on how the foam board is doing.
Could try keeping a window cracked open to ventilate the moisture outside. The problem with small enclosed places is that water vapor builds up inside and can't get out, with 2 people 1 dog and cooking this adds up to a lot of water vapor in the air and when it gets cold out it condenses on the windows and any cold walls.
It's western Washington - just too wet in the winter. We got stuck spending a winter south of Seattle and it was the most miserable winter in all of our years of fulltiming. Our RV was pretty well insulated but we still had water running down some of the walls and mold growing in places where it had never been a problem.

We never tried it but our neighbors at the RV park said DampRid worked well but they had to change it often.

Clean all of the moldy areas with a mold-killing cleaner. Using the cleaner is almost as bad as breathing in mold spores but it should keep it from growing back as quickly.
Update. I put the foam board between mattress and wall. No condensation there, but...... I have 2 mattresses and one is about 6" shorter than the other. The shorter one is on top and pushed down toward the foot of the bed. The foam board is up to the height of the top mattress. So there's a gap at the head of the bed. I have a suitcase leaning up to sit up against, not in direct contact with the wall as the wall is slanted. The foam board there, in that gap, is wet, as well as dampness on the wall behind the suitcase without the foam board.
I'll try pushing the shorter mattress up against the back wall. I thought the added air access would have helped. Ugg. I'm going to go ahead and get a dehumidifier too.
"mold growing in places where it had never been a problem" LOL When I take my socks off, I halfway expect to find mold! In Palm Springs, I didn't even own socks!
This is a rather serious situation for everyone to consider. Have read many stories of renovations where the walls are torn down to reveal rotted boards. Only way to rot is from moisture and mold. -- keep posting how you fix this. It's great information that wish was shared more often.
(11-13-2014, 08:21 AM)Stargazer Wrote: [ -> ]I had the same problem in my TT last winter and I was using electric heat. I bought the foam board insulation with a moisture barrier on one side, cut it the depth of the mattress and slid it between the mattress and wall. It worked. Also, I am in a drier area than WA so whether this would work for you or not, I don't know.

what is this foam board with moisture barrier called? Can I get it at Home Depot?
Cinemaphonic,

Home Depot is where I purchased it. It's a pinkish color and it says "moisture barrier" on the label.

I recently looked for it at Lowe's. They didn't have it.

Best wishes.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5