VanDweller Community Forums

Full Version: Any reason not to tape flexible foam to the outside metal walls?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
My new van has bare metal walls. I was going to use foam sheets where possible, but in the little nooks and crannies I'm thinking about using thin, flexible foam and taping it to the walls. I don't see any potential problem with it, am I missing something?

There are so many people on this forum who know so much more than I, I figured I'd ask.

I was going to use this stuff:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Owens-Corning.../202080947
I figure it will act as a vapor barrier. Of course I'll have more insulation on top of it.
Sill seal wouldn't be my choice- not much, if any, insulation value....and it's only 6" wide.
Vapor barrier should be on the living side of the insulation- that is where moisture will be coming from(unless of course there are leaks in the shell) in the form of vapor, then condensing on the cooler surfaces.

I'd use 1/2" foil faced foam and layer it in the tight spaces. Sometimes you can score the back and fold the pieces to get them into a hole, then open again. Sometimes fitting pieces together is the answer. A dab of polyurethane adhesive to hold 'em and your good.

In those truly impossible spots, I resort to fiberglass that can be compressed and will expand inside the cavity, those areas really require that the vapor barrier be well installed. I like carpet protector (think wide roll of clear packing tape)

YMMV
Bruce, I used that same product on the ceiling ribs where anything else was too thick. I figured something was better than nothing. I then taped everything with metal tape.
Like this;
[Image: a2540e6553f5b07c25f49c1f582a79c8.jpg]
[Image: 9926bae90d99fab775c99a0e92019ce6.jpg]
[Image: 2f6236d1ae5617b90b93eb993d4ecebc.jpg]

[Image: 0d78e6fbf088773ad97ad93d46f28f23.jpg]
(12-09-2014, 09:06 PM)karl Wrote: [ -> ]I like carpet protector (think wide roll of clear packing tape)
Pretty cool stuff, I'll bet that would be an excellent vapor barrier. Thanks!
(12-10-2014, 01:11 PM)HarmonicaBruce Wrote: [ -> ]Pretty cool stuff, I'll bet that would be an excellent vapor barrier. Thanks!
Great idea!!! I am 'stealing' this idea Smile
(12-10-2014, 04:21 AM)Luisafernandes Wrote: [ -> ]Like this...
Thanks for the awesome reply, especially the pictures! That's EXACTLY what I needed.
By the way, was that 3/4 inch board flexible enough to curve a little? I assume it was, it doesn't look like it cracked or anything. Good looking job.
(12-10-2014, 01:39 PM)HarmonicaBruce Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks for the awesome reply, especially the pictures! That's EXACTLY what I needed.
By the way, was that 3/4 inch board flexible enough to curve a little? I assume it was, it doesn't look like it cracked or anything. Good looking job.

No cracks, just enough flexibility
What is the purpose of completely covering the ribs with the metal tape?
(12-10-2014, 03:07 PM)Almost There Wrote: [ -> ]What is the purpose of completely covering the ribs with the metal tape?

One; it holds everything else together.
Two; it helps with sealing in the cold or warmth.
Three; makes the van look shiny.
Four; keeps space aliens from reading your mind.
Five; just kidding on the alien thing
Pages: 1 2