VanDweller Community Forums

Full Version: Questions about this DIY guide
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I found a well-illustrated van insulation web page that describes a process I might just be able to manage, with maybe a second pair of hands:

http://www.doityourselfrv.com/make-steal...nsulation/

But as a newbie still wrapping my head around this whole insulation thing, let me just ask:

1. Is the foam board just sort of stuffed between the ribs and then retained by the furring strips and paneling? Is that really all there is to it?

2. Would it possible to just hang a heavy curtain behind the cabin instead of building a partition there? (maybe something like this)

3. Any reason I couldn't put down rugs or carpeting on the plywood floor instead of laminate?

4. What's a job like this likely to cost? (minus the optional stuff listed)

Thanks!
you can compress fit but id also add tape to be sure they dont move or make noise. I use a curtain, saves room. no reasons you couldnt put down carpet. shag for 70s style points Big Grin
It cost me 47 dollars plus roll of gorilla tape for styrofoam panels, not sure about that type of foam panel. here is a breakdown of my conversion cost.

http://dazargaidin.blogspot.com/p/vandwelling.html

if you just use area rugs on ply, dont get osb as he suggests get real plywood (pine ok) with one side sanded side.

i bought my mom an area rug from family dollar for 15 bucks, it was basically office carpet but large enough to cover anything in a van that wasnt under furniture...
"But as a newbie still wrapping my head around this whole insulation thing, let me just ask:"

1. Is the foam board just sort of stuffed between the ribs and then retained by the furring strips and paneling? Is that really all there is to it?
Yes, it can be.

2. Would it possible to just hang a heavy curtain behind the cabin instead of building a partition there? (maybe something like this)
Yep, many folks use a curtain only. Especially if you use a swiveling passenger seat as your 'easy chair'.

3. Any reason I couldn't put down rugs or carpeting on the plywood floor instead of laminate?
Nope. Some do this. It's all a matter of preference and what you can afford or do yourself.

4. What's a job like this likely to cost? (minus the optional stuff listed)
Depends on what all you do, and if you can find free/donated items or material.
I also found a picture of a more "quick and dirty" insulation job by a guy who covered both walls and ceiling with EZ Cool.... so I guess that's another easy way to insulate, if you don't mind living in something out of a sci-fi movie. (I'd be OK with it) Big Grin

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/gallery...e_id=17302
in that link you gave they said use oriented strand board(osb). I would not use osb for anything. as for the furring strips you really don't need them if you use good quality plywood paneling. highdesertranger
(01-11-2015, 07:20 PM)highdesertranger Wrote: [ -> ]in that link you gave they said use oriented strand board(osb). I would not use osb for anything. as for the furring strips you really don't need them if you use good quality plywood paneling. highdesertranger

Unless you need them in places where the ribs aren't so as to hold furniture attachments when you get to that stage.
I also would not use OSB for anything in a van:

1) it off-gasses
2) if it gets wet it'll de-laminate
3) nasty stuff--YUUUCCCKKKKK! Tongue

Bob
I agree - CDX plywood will will handle random moisture very well - OSB will degrade over time even without much moisture
OSB is darned heavy too. Doesn't look as good if left bare, as good plywood can be stained & finished.
(01-11-2015, 07:30 PM)Almost There Wrote: [ -> ]Unless you need them in places where the ribs aren't so as to hold furniture attachments when you get to that stage.

Chances are I'd run out of money between the insulating and paneling stages, so I'd probably need to install the furring strips during the period that the van is still in un-paneled "ugly but semi-comfortable" mode....
Pages: 1 2