VanDweller Community Forums

Full Version: Reflectix Question
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
It's been mentioned numerous time by Bob that Reflectix needs air to work, so putting it between the metal sides of your van and paneling won't do you any good.

So, Chancebond posted a picture earlier of a van build that used pegboard for paneling. 
Would putting a layer of Reflectix behind pegboard have any effect? 
Technically a great deal of the Reflectix would be open to the interior of the van, though through tiny holes.
I should think the pegboard would act like a regular wall covering. I have the laundry room area in my bus sheeted in Pegboard over poly w/ heat barrier (not reflectix) facing interior of bus. It does not seem any cooler there than anywhere else in the bus. Nor has the plumbing froze up on the washing machine even in single digit temps.
Well, if the reflectix was having an effect it would be keeping the heat in, not the cool air. Assuming the reflective side was facing the inside of the van
(02-05-2015, 01:46 PM)Matt71 Wrote: [ -> ]It's been mentioned numerous time by Bob that Reflectix needs air to work, so putting it between the metal sides of your van and paneling won't do you any good.

So, Chancebond posted a picture earlier of a van build that used pegboard for paneling. 
Would putting a layer of Reflectix behind pegboard have any effect? 
Technically a great deal of the Reflectix would be open to the interior of the van, though through tiny holes.

I don't think it's a good solution for a couple of reasons.

The air gap needs to be between the metal wall of the van and the reflectix to prevent heat entry into the van.

An air gap between the reflectix and the interior paneling or whatever would be used to radiate heat back into the van from inside the van...probably not needed unless one were staying in cold weather year round and wanted their heater/furnace to be more effective. Most of us are trying to prevent heat build up inside the van from radiant sunlight.

Reflectix can be bought with white (non-reflective) on one side or with reflective material on both sides depending on what and how you want to use it.

Pegboard is a composite material that sucks up moisture easily and is damaged under any kind of stressful use.

Pegboard is also only maybe 33% open holes (I'm guessing here, not measuring)  with the rest of it being solid. Therefore the reflective capabilities of the reflectix would only be effective to whatever the actual percentage of opening it is. The rest would be waste product because it would butt up against the solid portion of the pegboard.

Optimum solution is to use something like bubble wrap to provide the air gap between the wall of the van and the reflectix, then insulate with your choice of insulation, then finish the walls with your choice of interior finishing. If you're planning on following the seasons all the time, then perhaps the insulation layer could be eliminated or reduced substantially.
In terms of insulation, dead air space means air trapped so to prevent air movement. peg board with its holes would not do the job. Reflecting surfaces need an air gap to prevent conduction of heat through the material. It is meant to reflect the infrared rays, not heat by conduction. When the metal skin of the van is heated by the sun it gets hot. Heat is conducted to the inside of the metal. The hot metal produces infrared radiation that bounces off the shinny material and is reabsorbed by the metal skin of the van. The metal skin of the van gets even hotter. At some point the conductivity of air and anything else is going to bring more heat inside the van.