VanDweller Community Forums

Full Version: Clore JNC660 experience
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I bought a JNC660 in June of 2014 based on great reviews on Amazon and the recommendation from the auto parts guy.

Within a week of purchasing, the light on the unit that changed from yellow to green to indicate the unit was charged stopped working. The first time I charged it out of the box, the light worked as designed, after I used it once about 2 weeks later to jump start a vehicle, it no longer changed to green when it was fully charged. The light would stay yellow and only change to green once I unplugged the power cord and then plugged it back in. I called the auto store and they were great about it and said I could exchange it. I was out in the boonies and they told me I could exchange it when I got back to town.

Three weeks later I went to town for mail/food, but it completely slipped my mind to exchange the unit. I remembered it when a small RV needed a jump a few weeks later. The unit still charged and kept the charge, so decided to drop the matter with the store exchange and trust that the unit was fine and just had a glitch in a logic board somewhere. It came with a 1 year manufacturing warranty.

Charged it twice over the winter with no problems(topping the battery off). Pulled it out again late last week and the battery was down to about 20% for some reason, it was charged to 100% in Feb and not used since. Plugged it in to charge and this time it took almost 3 days to fully charge. Unplugged it and the next morning when I checked the charge, it was down to about 90% and not holding the charge.

Called their tech dept and the tech had a million and one excuses as to why the light wasn't changing to green, including that it was supposed to work that way. When I pressed about the battery not holding a charge, I then had to listen to reasons why it was probably something I was doing wrong or that I had somehow broke it and misuse nullified the warranty. In the end he said I could send it back at my expense and they would look at it. If nothing was wrong with it they would send the same unit back to me. Not a problem for me, except I had just experienced this guy trying to convince me that first off, there was nothing wrong with it and secondly, if there was something wrong with it, it was most likely because of something I had done.

It was not the quality of their product that will stop me from buying anything else from this company(the unit seemed well built, just sometimes stuff happens), it was the way their tech support guy handled my inquiry. Usually when you pay the extra money and buy quality items, you get what you pay for. This time however, that was not the case. In the end, I would not recommend this product. If you do purchase one and anything seems off with it within the return period, exchange it! The warranty is a hassle and paying to have a battery shipped for a repair is not that cheap.
It sucks when one gets the runaround when a product fails.

I recently had a friend order a 100 amp charger and we were sent a 75 amp charger. The seller, a rather prominent online retailer of RV converters, kept trying to tell me that the large discharged AGM batteries we were charging could not accept more than 75 amps, when they could have accepted a 1000( briefly). 2 months later when the correct product arrived, it did come close to 100 amps and was in a physically larger case. So basically they sent a 75 amp unit with a 100 amp sticker on it and tried to blow smoke up the wrong persons' ass.

It is certainly possible to kill a jumper pack by discharging it completely and letting it sit that way, but this does not appear to be the case.

Now, the batteries within these are usually just 12 or 18 AH asian AGM batteries, can they can be replaced fairly easily, and for not much money either and often with free shipping.

Here are the two most likely batteries inside these units:
http://www.amazon.com/UB12120-Sealed-Bat...B0079KW9U8

http://www.amazon.com/ExpertPower%C2%AE-Rechargeable-Battery-Included-EXP12180/dp/B000RAVT58/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1429579502&sr=1-1&keywords=18+ah+agm+battery

Note sometimes the output terminals differ slightly, some being burlier than others. Burly is good!

The chargers which come with these jumper packs are just standard wall wart power transformers. These can hardly be considered a good battery charger. Does it charge the battery? yes.
Can it fully charge the battery? Perhaps, if left on long enough and the battery was not deeply discharged.
Is this charger a reliable piece of electronics? Likely not.

I still have the transformer from my jumper pack from 2001. It lists 13.5v, 800ma max. rating
This would be a maximum of 0.8 amps provided at 13.5 volts. Its actual maximum voltage is 13.62v when loaded, but unloaded, just sticking the voltmeter leads inside the barrel plug, reads 14.2v. Even a 0.08amp t10 LED bulb dropped maximum voltage to 13.79, and two bulbs dropped it to 13.64v. this 'charger' simply could never fully charge a depleted battery.

And as always, never trust any lights regarding battery state of charge.

Notice on those batteries above they have a different recommended charging voltage range and maximum amperage range for cyclic use, or for standby use. The charger provided with these units, is for standby use, and likely only comes close to that voltage and its maximum amperage for a small fraction of the maximum allotted.

AGM batteries like to be fed amperages up near their maximum limit, if one is recommended.

So the point is, the provided charger is a POS which cannot properly recharge the battery unless plugged in for a week or longer and perhaps not even then.

You might be able to restore some functional capacity to this battery with a good discharge to 50% and a solid 3.5amp current for the 12ah unit, or 5.4amps for the 18AH unit, applied until 14.9v is reached and held for about 2-4 hours, or until battery case rises to 95 degrees F when ambients are 75F.

All Lead acid batteries benefit from proper charging, and the provided charging source with these jumper packs is just barely adequate for a newer healthy battery.

Do not be afraid to open up this jumper pack and replace the battery inside. You can also achieve some measure of recharging whenever your engine is running or solar is operating, you can feed it battery charging voltages merely by paralleling it with the charging battery.

For those who want a jumper pack, but do not need the convenient carry handle or attached alligator clamps, one can just buy this 12 or 18AH battery for 25 to 40$, and hook jumper cables to it to jump the vehicle, and use jumper cables or just some fused 12awg wire to the battery terminals to recharge it while you charge other batteries upto the mid 14 absorption voltage range.

One other thing to note is that these Asian AGM batteries do not have the low self discharge feature of better constructed AGM batteries. Often they are only slightly better than flooded batteries, which when healthy can self discharge upto 15% at 75F each month.

When ordering online, there is no guarantee the battery that arrives will be fresh. One can guestimate how old it is by the measuring the voltage when it first arrives. If it is much less than 12.6v, then it is likely that the battery more than 2 months old and discharged below 80% where damage occurs. The lower the voltage on arrival, the worse condition the battery will be in and the more capacity is lost, forever. The battery can still be fully charged, on a capable charging source, but when new and when it had 12AH and ~200CCA originally, it now might have 9.5AH and 120CCA

Odyssey sells a 18 AH battery that is a high quality AGM with very little self discharge, no more than 3% per month

But check out the price compared to the Asian AGMs for the same rated capacity:
http://www.amazon.com/Odyssey-PC625-Powersports-Battery/dp/B0000BYEXO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1429582551&sr=8-1&keywords=odyssey+pc625
Thnx SternWake- Lotta good info there. I will be opening it up later this week and fiddle with it since I am not going to go the warranty route. Will also do the charge method on the battery with a different charger. If nothing else, at 40$, replacing the battery is cheap enough. Thnx for the links too! I get distracted on amazon, go looking for a battery replacement and end up buying a boar's hair brush for my beard...lol
And what's wrong with a boar's hairbrush for your beard!! Beards gotta be loved too! Smile
Bob
(04-20-2015, 10:55 PM)akrvbob Wrote: [ -> ]...Beards gotta be loved too! Smile ...

Dam straight! Lol
Stop it! I miss my beard. Walmart has some small AGM starter type batteries. They are in the $60 range, but when I last looked, made in USA.
I have three of the charger packs, two smaller Schmachers and a much larger one. All do the job they are meant to do. I have jumped the minivan with each of them. One now resides in my Mom's car trunk. All cost in the $70 to $80 range, with the larger one acquired via Amazon. One thing to remember, they all specify they need charged monthly or so. They do lose charge over time.
I have used them for airing tires too, all have a small pump. The larger unit also has a larger low pressure hose and can inflate air mattresses, balls, etc. It includes a volt meter as well as the charging lights, but as SW says, who knows how accurate they are? The larger unit also has a USB port, for charging small devices. This could be handy on a road trip, though I do have some car chargers with USB cables for my small gadgets.
When I get a new jumper pack, I immediately put it on charge. Who knows how long it sat on a shelf before you buy it?
These are useful units if they are used correctly and kept charged.
I know some people like to use these as house batteries, but the batteries within them are quite small, and not really tolerant of deep discharges, and when they are deeply discharged, the provided chargers are far from ideal at returning them at full charge.

And like all lead acid batteries, they want to live their life as close to fully charged as possible at all times.

I recommend people use these only for jumpstarting and do their best to keep them fully charged at all times, so it has the capability to do its main job, which is to assist a over depleted engine battery when trying to start the engine.

Cycling the small AGM batteries will quickly reduce the available CCA of the jumper pack and reduce its ability to do its job, and the human hooking up the jumper cables might have a false confidence in the ability of the unit, which defeats the purpose of carrying it.

Also, the bells and whistles combined with many units, like the air compressors, are quite poor. Don't expect to be able to pump up 4 van tires from 30 psi to 45PSI after going offroad. The compressor in with these is not upto that task, but is for occasional emergency use only, just like the rest of the jumper pack.
Again, these jumper units need recharging monthly to remain useful.