VanDweller Community Forums

Full Version: dwelling laws
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
after bumping into an interesting article about living in your vehicle. it seems that Alabama has no laws about someone living in there vehicle. are there any more states like this
Someone tell me if I'm wrong, but, I get the sense that it's mostly people in the SoCal area that really get harassed with laws about vehicle dwelling. From what I've seen all around the east coast it's never been a problem.
well you don't want to tell the BLM or FS that you are living in your vehicle. just tell them you are camping. highdesertranger
(11-01-2015, 04:22 PM)TMG51 Wrote: [ -> ]Someone tell me if I'm wrong, but, I get the sense that it's mostly people in the SoCal area that really get harassed with laws about vehicle dwelling. From what I've seen all around the east coast it's never been a problem.
i see people do it all day long and there never bothered some have been in the same spot for months!! and that includes vans upto travel trailers on the side of the streets. i guess it depends on the neighborhood Huh
(11-01-2015, 04:38 PM)highdesertranger Wrote: [ -> ]well you don't want to tell the BLM or FS that you are living in your vehicle.  just tell them you are camping.  highdesertranger

camping on the side of the street with the genset out in a 5th wheel Huh Big Grin . i can understand a Walmart parking lot Cool
I believe most of the time it is city laws you have to worry about.  While Alabama may not have any restriction many of the towns do.  A couple of links to check.  

Find Local Stealth Laws??(Parking, Living, Sleeping, Camping)

Municipal Code Library

State listing with towns and cities.  Search for "CAMPING" or "SLEEPING".

Montgomery, AL
Sec. 18-152. - Sleeping or loitering without permission of owner or occupant of premises.
It shall be unlawful for any person to sleep in or on a motor vehicle or loiter in or about such motor vehicle while the same is parked on a public street, avenue or alley in the city or while the same is parked on the premises of another person in the city, without first obtaining permission from the owner, occupant or custodian of such premises.

Gulf Shores, AL
Sec. 11-2. - Sleeping in vehicles, out-of-doors or in nonresidential zones. 
It shall be unlawful for any person to sleep in an automobile, van, truck, camper, trailer, or other vehicle of any kind or nature within the corporate limits of the city or the police jurisdiction thereof, between the hours of 10:00 p.m. and 6:00 a.m.
(11-01-2015, 04:39 PM)darude Wrote: [ -> ]i see people do it all day long and there never bothered some have been in the same spot for months!! and that includes vans upto travel trailers on the side of the streets. i guess it depends on the neighborhood Huh

I see it all the time in the SF Bay Area and especially in the South Bay (maybe just because I'm there more than other parts).
I too see multiple RV's parking on industrial/commercial streets, and they seem to stay there for extended periods of time.  So far I haven't seen the bright orange stickers the city likes to place on vehicles that park for more than 72 hours, but maybe I'm just not around to see that part. 

The people that I see in these RV's don't even try to hide the fact that they're in there either.  I see flickering lights from TV's and the glow of lighting and the movement of the dwellers themselves.  

Of course this activity doesn't mean it's legal, but nobody seems to be enforcing it.
The Nomadic Fanatic, on YouTube, says it la legal to live in your vehicle in Seattle, but you gotta move every 72 hrs.
I was looking for laws in Denver and from what I see is it is legal as long as you are not drunk. I guess they would rather have a chance at catching you trying to make it home than sleep it off. That would explain the numerous RV's and vans at Walmarts and some are not over nighters either. Near here is a group of up to seven RV's of all sorts including a Astro. They are tucked away from view of the surface streets but we see them from the highway. They have been there a few months but other than a toad being off the dolly, you would think they are just parked.

It's going to be 24 F and snowing in a few days, I wonder how many will still be there. I know I'd be out of here if I could not winterizing the trailer like I did today.
(11-01-2015, 06:21 PM)jimindenver Wrote: [ -> ]I was looking for laws in Denver and from what I see is it is legal as long as you are not drunk. I guess they would rather have a chance at catching you trying to make it home than sleep it off. That would explain the numerous RV's and vans at Walmarts and some are not over nighters either. Near here is a group of up to seven RV's of all sorts including a Astro. They are tucked away from view of the surface streets but we see them from the highway. They have been there a few months but other than a toad being off the dolly, you would think they are just parked.  

It's going to be 24 F and snowing in a few days, I wonder how many will still be there. I know I'd be out of here if I could not winterizing the trailer like I did today.

Looks like it is against the law but there are so many hoops the officer has to jump through that they probably don't want to bother.

Denver, Co Sleeping / Camping.

Sec. 38-86.2. - Unauthorized camping on public or private property prohibited.
(a)
It shall be unlawful for any person to camp upon any private property without the express written consent of the property owner or the owner's agent, and only in such locations where camping may be conducted in accordance with any other applicable city law.
(b)
It shall be unlawful for any person to camp upon any public property except in any location where camping has been expressly allowed by the officer or agency having the control, management and supervision of the public property in question.
©
No law enforcement officer shall issue a citation, make an arrest or otherwise enforce this section against any person unless:
(1)
The officer orally requests or orders the person to refrain from the alleged violation of this section and, if the person fails to comply after receiving the oral request or order, the officer tenders a written request or order to the person warning that if the person fails to comply the person may be cited or arrested for a violation of this section; and
(2)
The officer attempts to ascertain whether the person is in need of medical or human services assistance, including, but not limited, to mental health treatment, drug or alcohol rehabilitation, or homeless services assistance. If the officer determines that the person may be in need of medical or human services assistance, the officer shall make reasonable efforts to contact and obtain the assistance of a designated human service outreach worker, who in turn shall assess the needs of the person and, if warranted, direct the person to an appropriate provider of medical or human services assistance in lieu of the person being cited or arrested for a violation of this section. If the officer is unable to obtain the assistance of a human services outreach worker, if the human services outreach worker determines that the person is not in need of medical or human services assistance, or if the person refuses to cooperate with the direction of the human services outreach worker, the officer may proceed to cite or arrest the person for a violation of this section so long as the warnings required by paragraph (1) of this subsection have been previously given.
Pages: 1 2 3