VanDweller Community Forums

Full Version: Judgements
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Recently in a money thread a poster decided people who take off on this lifestyle without proper savings are "stupid".

In the Dangers thread people (me included) posted about things they consider dangers while traveling, which is what the OP asked about.  Only to have a chorus of "worrying is pointless" and "I never worry about anything" posts in reply.

In another thread we got to hear all about how people without jobs and savings are going to ruin it for the rest of us.

So my curiosity is peaked by this, is your way the only way to do things right?  Is there room for being supportive without judging what someone else is doing?  I recently read a quote elsewhere that said 7+2=9... but so does 5+4.  There are many ways to arrive at a similar mindset without telling others they're stupid or wrong or (in your personal, possibly VERY different experience) have no need to worry.

We all walk different paths in life, some come to conclusions later or earlier than others.  Our experiences are unique, so maybe we can all agree that since our personal experience isn't universal, we could all get along and just be supportive while also being informative?
Very well said, Queen.
(11-03-2015, 08:20 AM)Queen Wrote: [ -> ]So my curiosity is peaked by this, is your way the only way to do things right?

I'd have thought this went without saying. Obviously my way is the only way to do things right. Tongue

So, um, what was my way again? Confused

Quote:Is there room for being supportive without judging what someone else is doing?

Of course there is. Ultimately, your decisions do not affect my life, so I'm more than willing to live and let live. I'll happily give advice if I feel I have something to contribute. Personally, I see advice, whether given or received as a wonderful gift. Once given, it is yours to do with as you see fit. If you choose not to follow my advice, I'm not bothered by it. I'm just happy that you took the time to listen. Live your life as you see fit. You do not need my, or anyone else's approval.

Quote:I recently read a quote elsewhere that said 7+2=9... but so does 5+4.

You can actually take this a step further. Most people will look at the classic 7+2 and come up with 9 while the vary rare individual will see the problem from a different angle and come up with 72. Both have a 7 and a 2, but person A is doing addition, while person B is putting numbers together. Take it even a little further and you realize that the answers change again when you switch the order of the numbers; 7+2=72, while 2+7=27 and that 5+4=54, while 4+5=45.

Apply this to life and you realize that two people can take the exact same basic information and come up with radically different conclusions. There are times when there is a definitive right answer and all others are wrong, but those times are few and far between.

I suspect that more of the members and lurkers on this sight fall into the 7+2=72 category than the more populated 7+2=9 category.

Quote:We all walk different paths in life, some come to conclusions later or earlier than others.  Our experiences are unique, so maybe we can all agree that since our personal experience isn't universal, we could all get along and just be supportive while also being informative?

I can't speak for anyone else here, but my life experiences have been unique and could not be duplicated through any amount of effort. Those experiences have lead me to where I am now, and I think it's a good place.
(11-03-2015, 08:20 AM)Queen Wrote: [ -> ]Recently in a money thread a poster decided people who take off on this lifestyle without proper savings are "stupid".

In the Dangers thread people (me included) posted about things they consider dangers while traveling, which is what the OP asked about.  Only to have a chorus of "worrying is pointless" and "I never worry about anything" posts in reply.

In another thread we got to hear all about how people without jobs and savings are going to ruin it for the rest of us.

So my curiosity is peaked by this, is your way the only way to do things right?  Is there room for being supportive without judging what someone else is doing?  I recently read a quote elsewhere that said 7+2=9... but so does 5+4.  There are many ways to arrive at a similar mindset without telling others they're stupid or wrong or (in your personal, possibly VERY different experience) have no need to worry.

We all walk different paths in life, some come to conclusions later or earlier than others.  Our experiences are unique, so maybe we can all agree that since our personal experience isn't universal, we could all get along and just be supportive while also being informative?

good job !!!
(11-03-2015, 11:56 AM)sephson Wrote: [ -> ]You can actually take this a step further. Most people will look at the classic 7+2 and come up with 9 while the vary rare individual will see the problem from a different angle and come up with 72. Both have a 7 and a 2, but person A is doing addition, while person B is putting numbers together. Take it even a little further and you realize that the answers change again when you switch the order of the numbers; 7+2=72, while 2+7=27 and that 5+4=54, while 4+5=45.

Bah! You guys are such number bigots. You are leaving out all the infinite variety available in the Real and Complex number sets. I just don't know if I can hang out here any more.
(11-03-2015, 08:20 AM)Queen Wrote: [ -> ] 7+2=9... but so does 5+4.  

Then there is the new government math that nobody understands.   Huh

The point is if you wait until everything is perfect, things will never happen.
(11-03-2015, 01:33 PM)GotSmart Wrote: [ -> ]The point is if you wait until everything is perfect, things will never happen.

Huh?
Great post, Queen.

All public forums are this way although far too many people in person do the same thing. Counting to 10 helps or 200.
(11-03-2015, 02:02 PM)Snow Gypsy Wrote: [ -> ]Great post, Queen.  

All public forums are this way although far too many people in person do the same thing.  Counting to 10 helps or 200.

Yeah, I'm on a bunch of other forums and most of them have descended into hate and vitriol over the years, not much compassion or understanding to be found these days.  I love that Bob tries to keep this place positive and helpful.
(11-03-2015, 01:44 PM)Queen Wrote: [ -> ]Huh?

If I had waited to have kids until everything was perfect, I never would have had kids.

If I had waited until I had $5,000 in savings to start vandwelling, my kids would have killed me. (Justifiably so!) 

Sometimes you have to ignore what others say, and do what is right for you.  (Sometimes, ??? Who cares what THEY say!)  Just live life, other wise you never do anything but sit and watch the paint crack.

Plan, but do not obsess on the details.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7