VanDweller Community Forums

Full Version: 2-Burner Propane Stoves
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Can anyone recommend a 2-burner, propane stove top. I think I would like to get one that is designed for being able to use on a picknic table, with the wind shields and all that. I will then build a little nook for it into my countertop, so it will look kinda like a built-in stovetop and not slide around when I drive. This way I will have the best of both inside and outside cooking with one appliance.

I'd like to keep it under $100 if possible.
Any of the Coleman camping stoves, use a bulk adaptor in order to run off a 20# tank, save the little adaptor for the 1 lb bottles when you want to run it on a picnic table.
There was a Enigmatic Nomadic/CheapRVLiving YouTube video that compared two stoves. I liked the one Kendall (sp?) had so I went and ordered that one from Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Coleman-Camp-Propane-Grill-Stove/dp/B000W4VD8C/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1450390103&sr=1-1&keywords=coleman+perfectflow

Unfortunately, looks like the price went WAY up as I got it for sale at $58.89. But it's an awesome stove and even off the sale price it's just a bit over your limit. That being said, eBay probably has some killer deals even if Amazon doesn't.

One side is a burner and the other is a large grill - best of both worlds! I've used the grill portion for cooking burgers and steaks as well as throwing a pan on top and making grilled chicken and sun dried tomatoes with penne pasta in a pesto sauce. YUM! Comes with the top cover locks into place for stowing and that turns into a wind guard when ready to cook. One subjective con I have is that the top cover isn't domed so it can't be used when you're cooking like a traditional BBQ grill, unless you like squishing the heck out of whatever you're cooking! I come from the school of "lookin' ain't cookin' " so I'm used to closing the lid down but if you don't mind then it'd be perfect for you. Either way, I highly recommend it.
freerangetortoise hit the one I was going to recommend. So call that two votes. Or three, since it's a Coleman.
(12-17-2015, 04:08 PM)ahh_me2 Wrote: [ -> ]Any of the Coleman camping stoves, use a bulk adaptor in order to run off a 20# tank, save the little adaptor for the 1 lb bottles when you want to run it on a picnic table.
Yeah, I'm partial to Coleman myself. But that is based on my experience with their products some 35 years ago. Are they still just as high quality?
I prefer the older versions, as they had the sandwiched style burner as opposed to the modern ones that just have a bunch of holes in them, kinda like a modern barbecue burner. They tend to not last as long.

I have been using a roughly 30 year old 2 burner Coleman daily, for the past 9 months and it works exceptionally well.

The other thing about newer ones is the sheet metal is a much lighter gauge.

Around here the old ones can always be found on Craigslist for 35-50 dollars.

Even new though, at Walmart here they have them starting at $60, which is still a good deal if it lasts 2-3 years
the problem you are going to run into is the portable needs high pressure into the adaptor. the gas system on your RV is low pressure. the adaptor is actually a regulator, the end of the adaptor that screws into the stove is a special Coleman fitting that I have not seen anywhere except as part of the regulator. highdesertranger
A high pressure hose, 20 lb tank and hose adapter can be had reasonably to connect to the Coleman stove.  That old of a rig, the stock tank may be toast.  If it is still usable, an adapter can be put on it to run the stove outside.
I haven't had time to take the RV to a propane dealer to see if the existing tank is still any good. I'll probably get a 20gal tank to tide me over.
(12-17-2015, 06:36 PM)highdesertranger Wrote: [ -> ]the problem you are going to run into is the portable needs high pressure into the adaptor. the gas system on your RV is low pressure. the adaptor is actually a regulator, the end of the adaptor that screws into the stove is a special Coleman fitting that I have not seen anywhere except as part of the regulator. highdesertranger
So, are you saying that the stoves come stock with a regulator/adapter that is intended to convert a high-pressure source to the low pressure actually used by the stoves? So a low pressure tank WOULD work, except the only way to get gas into the stove is via said adapter, which is the only thing that fits the proprietary connector on the stove?

I assume, from your statements, that running low pressure gas through a regulator does not work.

Do ALL portable stoves ONLY and ALWAYS have this proprietary connector? Is it impossible to get an adapter that is not also a regulator?

I may have to call Coleman tomorrow.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7