VanDweller Community Forums

Full Version: NV200 S
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Hello all,

I have a brand new Nissan NV200 S, and I want to start to plan out how I'm going to convert this. I was wondering the steps. I do want to get power from portable solar panel, as well as have the van charge batteries when running. I want a refillable fresh water tank and grey water tank. I definitely want insulation and paneling. My questions is with all the wiring, plumbing, etc what order should I do things in? 

Do I do insulation, flooring and paneling, then worry about wiring and plumbing, do wiring and plumbing first, etc.

Many thanks.
NiceSmile
Nice! I have the same van, it's a bit cramped but I have enough room for everything. I don't have a gray water tank - if you find suitable tanks for underneath please let me know!

I'd recommend floor first, then major wiring (solar, alternator to cabin batteries) then ceiling/walls, then furniture/storage, then secondary wiring such as lights. I would leave secondary wiring and plumbing for last because it's what will tend to get changed around a lot in the future and you want it to be accessible. You could do it before walls and such if you build in access of some sort.
(03-13-2016, 11:07 AM)ipahme Wrote: [ -> ]Hello all,

I have a brand new Nissan NV200 S, and I want to start to plan out how I'm going to convert this. I was wondering the steps. I do want to get power from portable solar panel, as well as have the van charge batteries when running. I want a refillable fresh water tank and grey water tank. I definitely want insulation and paneling. My questions is with all the wiring, plumbing, etc what order should I do things in? 

Do I do insulation, flooring and paneling, then worry about wiring and plumbing, do wiring and plumbing first, etc.

Many thanks.

It's really all a matter of planning.

Definitely insulate first but if you're putting in a roof vent then it could better go in before you do the insulation. No point in putting in the floor if you're going to have to lift it to drill holes in the vans' metal floor to run plumbing to your holding tank. Roughing in the wiring probably needs to be done before you finish the walls but if your wiring is running across the van, say under the bed then you can't run the wires until the bed is built..see where I'm going with this.

It's all integrated, the best plan is to plan very carefully and understand that you will need to do parts of some components at various stages. When building houses, the carpenters, plumbers, electricians etc. all have to co-operate so that each does the appropriate stage of their installation at the right time. Since you're being all the workers rolled in to one, at least you don't have to wait on anyone but yourself.... Big Grin

Short of it is, you have to worry about all of it all at once... Wink
I could use a good guide about what batteries to get safe enough to put inside of van, how to hook it up to the van so they are charged while van is running, and also how to charge them via solar, or to charge them hooking up to a house.

Also do the water tank have to be bellow the van? I'm not really sure how I would secure those. Any guide for things of that nature. Long as I have a guide, I feel I can do about anything. 

My main concern, living in Phoenix, is taking the edge off the heat. I can have van parked under covered parking all day, only have to find a place to park and sleep at night. But night time can still reach the 100's.
@Reducto

No need to drill a hole in the bottom of the bed, there is already one there! Right under the drivers side chair, if you look under the van, there is a rubber stopper, if you push up through that hole, you'll see the rubber mat move, so there is already a decent sized hole going right into the cab. Also near there under the body is a decent space about 1 foot wide by 2 feet long by 7-8 inches deep. Perhaps that would work as a grey water tank location?
hahaha plumbers, electricians, and carpenters all cooperating hahaha. good one, not around here. the electrical and plumbing should be roughed-in first. because the paneling will cover it. you should build it so you have access to these. so if you plan right you could do the insulation and paneling first and include the access. hope that's clear as mud. highdesertranger
Also as far as insulation I was thinking Jute against the metal walls and then Reflectix, then flooring or panelling. Does that sound right?
jute hold moisture. if it was me I would avoid it. highdesertranger
I was going based on the information here:

http://camperize.com/insulation.html

It seems I want to put something between the reflectix and the metal wall of the van.
Pages: 1 2 3 4