VanDweller Community Forums

Full Version: Buying land in Arizona or Nevada
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
I watched the video on how to choose a home state, and it was an eye opener. I began researching Arz and NV, DMV charges for transfering. Arz seens to be the cheapest.

Also, I would like to ask your thoughts on land ownership in both states. I was thinking of purchasing 1-2 acres to have a base to move to for seasonal weather. I have medical condition that Arz climate would help, but cant take the cold to much.
It's never a bad idea to have a couple of acres somewhere to call your own.I would recommend Az for the ability to change elevation with the seasons.I've spent a lot of time in Tx over the years but wouldn't live there on a bet.Good Luck.
Water could be a big issue.
In AZ I recommend Apache county as the least intrusive with codes and permits. It is along the New Mexico border. NV is surprisingly cold in the winter. It's the Mojave desert and it's all fairly high (above 2000 feet) so it will be colder than AZ. The wind in the desert is always an issue, but NV takes it to whole another level. The wind can be unbearable.

No taxes in Nevada, as far as I'm concerned that's the only reason to choose it.
Bob
(05-21-2016, 09:42 PM)akrvbob Wrote: [ -> ]In AZ I recommend Apache county as the least intrusive with codes and permits. It is along the New Mexico border.

We drove AZ 191 from Canyon de Chelly (Chinle, AZ) to Reserve, NM.  The area around Alpine, AZ, which is in Apache County, is spectacular.
Just never take the realtor's word for what is and is not allowed. Go to the county office or find the county online, even better, many have their codes online and after reading make a copy and take questions to the county office before purchasing.

Also, be careful that the land you buy actually has public access meaning a way for you to get to it. Sometimes there is an "understanding" about crossing the property of others, I just couldn't buy into that one. We looked at something isolated once in AZ, $18,000 for a well and that was over 20 years ago and access seemed "dicey" at best. Watch for requirements for septic tanks also.
Yes call the assessor with the apn number of the land listing and make sure you can get a physical address.
This will take care of your domicile and access questions.
No address = no access and no domicile

Wandering Larry
Wells are pretty much out of the question in much of AZ. The kind of places most of us are wanting to throw-together will use rain-catchment part of the year, and hauling in water the rest of the year. Both of those are easy, just a bunch of 55 gallon drums.
Bob
Texas (and probably New Mexico and Arizona) have areas along the border called "colonias." These are unincorporated areas without building codes (or at least enforcement). A lot of poor folks live there, especially Mexican and Central American immigrants, because they can buy some land cheap and build a house piece by piece as they earn cash. But I've considered that a few acres in such a place might be great for my purposes. However, I haven't looked into all the particulars, so I can't advise on technicalities.
(05-22-2016, 07:04 AM)Snow Gypsy Wrote: [ -> ]Just never take the realtor's word for what is and is not allowed.  Go to the county office or find the county online, even better, many have their codes online and after reading make a copy and take questions to the county office before purchasing.

Also, be careful that the land you buy actually has public access meaning a way for you to get to it.  Sometimes there is an "understanding" about crossing the property of others, I just couldn't buy into that one.  We looked at something isolated once in AZ, $18,000 for a well and that was over 20 years ago and access seemed "dicey" at best.  Watch for requirements for septic tanks also.

I believe that in AZ is is a legal requirement that you have access to the property.. be it through easements or an established trail/road, you cant be denied access.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5