VanDweller Community Forums

Full Version: What does your routine look like?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I'm looking to develop a rhythm to our life while on the road.  My husband, son, and I are about to embark on a 5000 mile trip.  Husband and son do well with routine.  I would like to create a routine so they feel more comfortable being on the road for an extended time.

We would like to prepare most of our own food.  We plan to stop for some sightseeing.  We'll need to find a place to boondock.  It'd be great if we could find wifi for a little while each day.  

For nomads that cover much ground, what does your routine look like?

Tracy
Hi Tracy! Are you still planning on traveling cross country to Florida? Will you have the entire summer for your trip?

We're probably not very good examples because although we travel far we are rarely in a rush to get anywhere so we travel slowly. A typical day goes like this: wake up about 7:00/7:30, hang around all morning, reading, playing on the computer or Wii, eat lunch then finally head out for the day. We usually go somewhere, a museum or a park, for most of the afternoon, then back to our parking spot or campsite, make dinner and hang out for the rest of the day. We drive 50 - 100 miles a day. We rarely stay in one spot for more than 2-3 days.

Many people use the 2/2/2 formula. Drive no more than 200 miles, get to a campsite by 2:00 and stay for 2 days. It must work well because I've seen it recommended a lot.

Have fun on your trip! When are you leaving? Make sure to keep us updated!
I don't have a routine. I play it on the fly. if I don't make it to where I wanted to be no biggie. oh I have one routine, coffee in the morning after that its wide open. highdesertranger
In the morning for me; its coffee, then the rest of my life!

I try and follow the 2-2-2 philosophy, except for me it 2 hours of driving, not 200 miles. Actually, I love sticking to a plan, and usually set the next day's agenda the previous afternoon. But I also strive to not be in a hurry and take things easy. For me, it's more enjoyable that way.

On the other hand, if I have huge distances to cover towards a set destination, it's up early and drive hard all day.
(06-08-2016, 11:34 AM)LivingandLearning Wrote: [ -> ]  We'll need to find a place to boondock.  It'd be great if we could find wifi for a little while each day.  

Tracy

Look into joining Boondockers Welcome. https://www.boondockerswelcome.com/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXrgnhaWBa0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwqWt-VfSAg

I am a host, and very much enjoy helping travelers. I have a family due here tomorrow to explore Death Valley and Las Vegas.

There is a small yearly fee to join, (something like $25). There is no fee for staying at anyones property that lists with the site. We do it as a public service to fellow travelers. At my house I offer water, electricity, garbage, laundry, WIFI when their stay ends, I will give a report about those who stay here, and they will make a report about me, so you get an idea about who you will be dealing with.
(06-08-2016, 12:15 PM)tonyandkaren Wrote: [ -> ]Hi Tracy! Are you still planning on traveling cross country to Florida? Will you have the entire summer for your trip?
Have fun on your trip! When are you leaving? Make sure to keep us updated!

Hi, Tony and Karen,

We're leaving next week and have only four weeks.  We will probably go slowly there, but come back doing long days.  That's generally how we roll.  I like the way the rhythm of your days sounds.  I think we'll have to get more driving.  I'm also concerned about cooking if we are blacktop boondocking.  

We're excited.  I'll keep you posted.

Thanks,
Tracy
(06-08-2016, 06:06 PM)highdesertranger Wrote: [ -> ]I don't have a routine.  I play it on the fly.  if I don't make it to where I wanted to be no biggie.  oh I have one routine,  coffee in the morning after that its wide open.  highdesertranger

Sounds like an ideal life to me. We'll see how loose and free we can play it.  (My husband likes to know the plan.)  :-)

Tracy
(06-08-2016, 06:21 PM)speedhighway46 Wrote: [ -> ]In the morning for me; its coffee, then the rest of my life!

I try and follow the 2-2-2 philosophy, except for me it 2 hours of driving, not 200 miles. Actually, I love sticking to a plan, and usually set the next day's agenda the previous afternoon. But I also strive to not be in a hurry and take things easy. For me, it's more enjoyable that way.

On the other hand, if I have huge distances to cover towards a set destination, it's up early and drive hard all day.

This also sounds good.  Making the idea the day before and then seeing if it works.  Always starting the day with coffee and tea is my policy, too. Big Grin

Tracy
(06-08-2016, 07:19 PM)DannyB1954 Wrote: [ -> ]There is a small yearly fee to join, (something like $25). There is no fee for staying at anyones property that lists with the site. We do it as a public service to fellow travelers. At my house I offer water, electricity, garbage, laundry, WIFI  when their stay ends, I will give a report about those who stay here, and they will make a report about me, so you get an idea about who you will be dealing with.

This sounds like a great idea.  I'll look into it.  It would take the guess work out of where to stay every day.  Thanks for the recommendation.  Tell me how to give you credit if I join.

Tracy
Tracy, if you are blacktop boondocking first check out the boondocking spot to make sure it's a good one then find a public park with tables where you can cook and eat your dinner. Stay at the park until it starts to get dark then drive to the boondocking spot. This is especially important in the heat of the summer. You'll want to be under the shade of trees if possible until the sun goes down. Blacktop builds up heat and as it radiates up into the van you'll roast.

An alternative is to stop at a park at dinner time, relax awhile, and then drive a few more hours into evening before stopping to blacktop boondock.
Pages: 1 2