VanDweller Community Forums

Full Version: Unbuildable lots- potential for vandwellers?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
I wonder if those extremely cheap un-buildable lots restricted by zoning/ordinances etc are big potential for vandwellers?  I know the tiny house people have a lot of trouble with codes, sometimes so far as destroying their dream entirely; but it seems like we would have an advantage over them, especially our stealth vehicles, because we're arguably not even 'recreational vehicles'... we'd just be cars parked on our own land.  As with most things in this arena, I assume it would boil down to whether your neighbors report you or if you're visible from the street.
"Good fences make good neighbors."
Here in Pahrump Nv. you can get a permit to live in an RV on your land for 6 months a year. The rub is that most affordable lots are not large enough to have septic or a well, and the utilities are not in the area. You can build any type of structure up to 200 Sq' without a permit. I recently helped build a mud hut made from plastic tubes and barbed wire for someone doing just that.
How much do the pahrump lots cost, and can you string a few of them together to put in a well and septic?
I think the guy I helped paid $2k for a small lot 60 x 90 I think. If you put several together you would have to find people on adjoining lots that want to sell, then you would have to get the county to approve the rezoning. Would be a lot easier to buy a tax lien dilapidated mobile that already has a well and septic.
Here is a listing for an old mobile on one acre for $35k. It would probably cost that much just to put a well and septic on bare land, (not counting the price of the land). http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhome...5092-92899
how deep is the water there? 35k is a conservative figure for a well and septic in my opinion. highdesertranger
How far off the path do you want? Offgrid?

I have 10 acres in Montello Nv. Its an old silver mining town. 120 full timers call this dust bowl home. I gave 500 an acre. No water, power, or sewer..Just a place to enjoy peace and quiet. I do get 3g cell, and there is a town water spigot to fill up with water. For 5k, I have more land than I could ever use. 435,600 square feet!!

One day after I retire, I plan to haul in good topsoil, so I can have my very own oasis in the desert. Property taxe s run $35 a year. Most of the town folk just mind thier own business.

We have 1 motel, a gas station, and a bar. We are 30 min from the Utah border.
Google Elko County Nv. Its in the extreme NE part of Nv. Summers are miled, as you are higher up. However, winters can be a little chilly.

REVELATIONS 8
(07-13-2016, 10:04 PM)highdesertranger Wrote: [ -> ]how deep is the water there?  35k is a conservative figure for a well and septic in my opinion.  highdesertranger

My static level is 66 feet. My well was drilled shallow at 100 feet. Most are now drilled to 140. 
The idea that I was trying to present was that it is probably not the best value to buy vacant unimproved land.
One can buy a lot with a used mobile, septic, well, and electricity, for cheaper than they could buy vacant land and do the improvements.
(07-14-2016, 01:00 AM)Milk Hauler Wrote: [ -> ]I have 10 acres in Montello Nv. Its an old silver mining town. 120 full timers call this dust bowl home. I gave 500 an acre. No water, power, or sewer..Just a place to enjoy peace and quiet. I do get 3g cell, and there is a town water spigot to fill up with water. For 5k, I have more land than I could ever use. 435,600 square feet!!

Hi. Do you winter there?

I have five acres in Eureka county, Crescent Valley. Well and septic, no power. Backed by BLM land. Winter would be harsh. But that is why God created Ehrenberg. 4G tower nearby, excellent signal. Barrick Mining probably uses Verizon. Same thing with town water spigot.

Barrick Cortez mine is down the highway where the highway ends. Truck traffic is double bottom ore trucks heading up to I80.

A general rule of thumb I have found in lower Nevada is that any dirt road off of a paved road has a mine at or near the end of the road. The better graded and wider road will have a bigger mining operation.

The only Walmart in the north east quarter of Nevada is in Elko. There are none in central NV along US50. US50 is a time warp. Austin is exactly as it was in 1970 when I was there, and probably farther back than that. Eureka looks the same. I am going up tomorrow and will go through Ely to check it out.

-Wayne
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6