VanDweller Community Forums

Full Version: The American Dream
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
A funny thing happened. I had my RV worked on. I drove around the block with the mechanic to make sure the sensor was repaired. We started talking. He has a wife, two kids, and just bought a house. The American dream. I said that I'm single. I just sold my house, bought a 22ft RV and a motorcycle, traveling anywhere. He said, "You are living the dream."

I enjoyed the irony.
Yep! The dream has changed!
I say everybody should have their own dream (or dreams) and follow it. No one dream should define us all.
(07-27-2016, 08:43 AM)Every Road Leads Home Wrote: [ -> ]I say everybody should have their own dream (or dreams) and follow it.  No one dream should define us all.

Right on!

Only downside I'm seeing to this is that my dream and my wife's dream may be running in different directions.
Seems as if there is no middle ground.  You either seek the white picket fences and 2.3 kids and a dog, or you do not, or you do, then you don't.

I, never did.
Most of the people I know would probably not be happy livings as I do. And I'm glad. Can you imagine trying to find good camping sites if everybody lived on the road?
I want to have both sides, or maybe like a hybrid. I think i could get married and have kids, wife, hehe a dog and the white picket fence and establishing that as a base. Then perhaps escape on the van for weeks or maybe months, maybe alone or maybe someone in the family may want to join. That's just a possible scenario that my mind pictures. ..

The challenge is to find a partner who would b ok with my idea

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk
(07-27-2016, 02:06 PM)Free Range Chicken Wrote: [ -> ]I want to have both sides,  or maybe like a hybrid.  I think i could get married and have kids, wife, hehe a dog and the white picket fence and establishing that as a base. Then perhaps  escape on the van for weeks  or maybe months,  maybe alone  or maybe someone in the family may want to join.  That's just a possible scenario that my mind pictures. ..

The challenge is to find a partner who would b ok with my idea

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

I tried this set up once.  I started dating a girl who had a kid.  My job has always been seasonal, summers are slow and winters are very busy.  She couldn't get up and go as much as I could so I'd do some trips with her and her son and some alone.  Eventually it ruined the relationship as she didn't like me taking off for 4 weeks at a time.  However, i think I've seen some of the video blogs where one spouse travels and the other is content staying home so I think it can work.
(07-27-2016, 12:07 AM)VegasVanGuy Wrote: [ -> ]A funny thing happened. I had my RV worked on. I drove around the block with the mechanic to make sure the sensor was repaired. We started talking. He has a wife, two kids, and just bought a house. The American dream. I said that I'm single. I just sold my house, bought a 22ft RV and a motorcycle, traveling anywhere. He said, "You are living the dream."

I enjoyed the irony.

He is spot on brother!!!  No doubt.  The other dude is a slave just without the physical chains...

Peace,

Matt
(07-27-2016, 03:08 PM)Every Road Leads Home Wrote: [ -> ]I tried this set up once.  I started dating a girl who had a kid.  My job has always been seasonal, summers are slow and winters are very busy.  She couldn't get up and go as much as I could so I'd do some trips with her and her son and some alone.  Eventually it ruined the relationship as she didn't like me taking off for 4 weeks at a time.  However, i think I've seen some of the video blogs where one spouse travels and the other is content staying home so I think it can work.

I think that's how it will be for us.  My wife has acknowledged that while she enjoys some travel, she really prefers home and hearth, but she also understands I may need to wander.
Pages: 1 2 3