VanDweller Community Forums

Full Version: Christmas Paraphanalia
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
This might seem like an odd post to most of you, for that I do apologize.

I've been purging my belongings. What I haven't gone near yet is all my Christmas stuff. And after almost 40 years there is a lot. Every year for 30 years my husband has bought me Christmas ornaments. How did you all purge those items and was there anything you kept that is Christmas related? Is this stuff you sold or just gave away?

I have ornaments my kids made that would be put out every year. I'm struggling with what to do with these items. The kid made stuff is quite old and tattered. They aren't important to anyone but me.

I know that in the great scheme of things it is just 'stuff'. It does tie me down. However, to me it also represents the years that have past. I'm truly at a loss of how to purge all of it.

Any suggestions or thoughts would be most appreciated.
Is it possible to have your kids hold a box for you, until you're ready to part with things?

Another option... give the kid ones back to your kids. My mom and dad gave me back the stuff I made for them when they hit the road. I love having the goofy paper mache ornament I made for them in the 2nd grade.
(07-29-2016, 08:59 AM)Queen Wrote: [ -> ]Is it possible to have your kids hold a box for you, until you're ready to part with things?

Another option... give the kid ones back to your kids.  My mom and dad gave me back the stuff I made for them when they hit the road.  I love having the goofy paper mache ornament I made for them in the 2nd grade.

I let my Ex, parents and kids keep anything they were sentimental about, and then the rest either got left at the old house or put out on the curb. In the end, I didn't end up keeping anything. And I'm fine with that... I didn't miss a thing last Christmas.
Doesn't seem odd to me.  It's always a good time to get rid of stuff.

This is what I did with my Christmas stuff:
  • Stuff that was just stuff I gave to a thrift store.
  • Stuff that had family connections I offered to family members.  If nobody wanted it, it was photographed and given away.  Some of these pictures I use on Christmas cards to family.
  • Stuff that had a personal connection was the most difficult.  Most of those were photographed and given to family or friends.  Photographs are used as rotating wallpaper during the Christmas season.  The few things that I have not yet been able to part with are stored.  I have found that I am willing to get rid of some of these after they have been left in a box untouched for a while.
I have found that I have to go through personal stuff 3, 4, or 5+ times to part with it.  If it was easy you wouldn't have to ask.

-- Spiff
Thank you for answering. Christmas 'stuff' is the most difficult to part with. I'll definitely use suggestions that were offered.

Would it be too odd to keep a couple of ornaments to hang from the ceiling as I travel? Or is this just too weird?
(07-29-2016, 09:19 AM)eoewan Wrote: [ -> ]Would it be too odd to keep a couple of ornaments to hang from the ceiling as I travel? Or is this just too weird?

Well, most traditional folks would think van dwelling is pretty weird in general... so, I'm thinking if you want to hang ornaments in your rig you go right ahead and do it.
The hardest things for me to get rid of, or try to, were the knick-knack my kids had made me over the years. Material stuff was easy, hell, I can always buy another TV or whatever but the handmade Christmas Ornaments I still have. I have them stashed at a friends house in his garage. Along with the cards and other refrigerator art they made.
eowan, it's not even close to weird, it's a cool idea
after all, your van is YOUR space, and should reflect you
YOU do with them what YOU want to do. What anyone else would do is immaterial. Purging EVERYTHING is not a necessity. People who don't have much of value (sentimental or financial) find it easy to dump everything. I have stuff that I can't replace easily, even if I had the money to do so.

Maybe go through the stuff and pick out what is likely important to you, and ask the kids, other family, or a friend to hold it for you.

And contrary to how many people here think, it is not illegal to rent a small storage unit. It gives you time to get used to the new situation (and to see if it really works for you); and once you've slowed down, you can think about it more. You don't have to do everything immediately.

Mahatma Ghandi: "There is more to life than increasing its speed."
Perhaps the same thing that would happen to all your sentimental stuff if you were to die. Pass it on to your kids and let them decide what to do with it.
Pages: 1 2 3