VanDweller Community Forums

Full Version: Long term camping arizona
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Could someone explain, again or point toward a thread on those 6 longterm camping in arizona? Quartzite, Colorado River ect. Is it 180.00? And do u need to be self contained I am in a truck. I am not asking all these questions for myself! Thanks!
(09-07-2016, 04:53 PM)Yogidog Wrote: [ -> ]Could someone explain, again or point toward a thread on those 6 longterm camping in arizona? Quartzite, Colorado River ect. Is it 180.00? And do u need to be self contained I am in a truck. I am not asking all these questions for myself! Thanks!

Here's the link to BLM LTVA web site:

https://www.blm.gov/documents/arizona-co...-requested

Basically, there are seven(?) LTVA's that are set up for the winter season in AZ and CA.

The fee is $180.00 for the season.

Some of the LTVA's are not open to any vehicle that doesn't have a 10 gallon self contained black water tank so even a van with a porta pottie does not qualify - hence you can not use those LTVA's.

Some of the other LTVA's allow the vehicle but it has to camp within a certain distance from the vault toilet. IIRC, it's 500 feet.

The fee covers entrance to any of the LTVA's that you can qualify for so you can move between them at will.

There are much better places to camp in the AZ and CA that don't cost a penny.

For example, Holtville CA has an LTVA area. No vault toilets on the LTVA so you wouldn't be able to stay there. Right behind the southern LTVA is BLM land where you can camp for free. The land in the BLM area is exactly the same type of desert as in the LTVA. The roads are no better or worse in the LTVA or the BLM land. Ok, so you can't walk across the street to the hot springs, you have to drive to it or if you have a bike or like to walk a couple of miles, you can do that as well.

The LTVAs around Quartzite are the same desert as the BLM land...just a little closer to town and more crowded.

IMO, the few LTVA's that allow those of us with vans and no built in holding tanks just aren't worth the money.
Thanks so much this helps tremendously trying to help three of us newbies doing this in the West. Try to give as much as I get and I get so much from u all, so I am busy! U guys cut down on the time researching and make it fun. Bless u!
Thanks for posting this, Yogidog, and thanks to the folks who responded with information.  I was going to ask the same thing.  Nice seeing you yesterday, Yogidog.  Hope to meet up with you again this winter, if not sooner!  And I like your dog, too!

I am wondering about the roads in all these places, since I have learned I have an issue with my only 6 inches of clearance.  Hmmm.
Define 'the roads in all these places'! 

6 inches of clearance just means that you have to drive a little smarter and a whole lot slower! Slow means that you can make a wise decision as to how to approach an uneven surface. It also means that you can drive slow enough that even if you happen to scrape bottom you're not doing damage like you do when you hit a rock at 30 mph...that means a serious dent.

What part of the vehicle has only got 6" of clearance? Even a Class B with really low holding tank discharge pipes should be able to do everything but the worst of the roads in a NF or BLM.
(09-08-2016, 10:59 AM)pamerica Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks for posting this, Yogidog, and thanks to the folks who responded with information.  I was going to ask the same thing.  Nice seeing you yesterday, Yogidog.  Hope to meet up with you again this winter, if not sooner!  And I like your dog, too!

I am wondering about the roads in all these places, since I have learned I have an issue with my only 6 inches of clearance.  Hmmm.

Great meeting u too! Looking forward to more fun!
(09-08-2016, 11:12 AM)Almost There Wrote: [ -> ]Define 'the roads in all these places'! 

6 inches of clearance just means that you have to drive a little smarter and a whole lot slower! Slow means that you can make a wise decision as to how to approach an uneven surface. It also means that you can drive slow enough that even if you happen to scrape bottom you're not doing damage like you do when you hit a rock at 30 mph...that means a serious dent.

What part of the vehicle has only got 6" of clearance? Even a Class B with really low holding tank discharge pipes should be able to do everything but the worst of the roads in a NF or BLM.

Hi Almost There.  I do not want to hijack Yogidog's thread here, and you are raising points that I feel need to be addressed.  I will start another thread about 6 inch clearance and Roads in These Places.  I have a photo that should show you what I mean.  This refers to the safety shield for the propane tank.
It's low, yes it is.  Question... I don't understand what you mean by "Define the roads in these places".  Obviously, where I have been and where I am contemplating going.  I have been pouring my heart out here.  I will work on this tonight.