VanDweller Community Forums

Full Version: Floor options
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey All,

I'm flipping back and forth trying to decide what to do with my cargo van floor. I know Bob has said in the past not to bother with insulation and just keep your feet warm by other means but I have some 1" pink board foam from the van's previous owner that I could put to use here.

Options:
1) 1/2" plywood with interlocking laminate on top, no insulation.
2) Cut strips of board insulation to fill the approx 0.3" deep grooves in the floor then 1/2" plywood with interlocking laminate as above.
3) Lay down the 1" foam board then put interlocking laminate directly on top of that.

Obviously the final option is to layer the insulation, plywood and laminate but I don't fancy losing 1-5/8" to the floor.

Tom
Fair to say that Bob's plan makes sense as a tradeoff if you're only going to be heating, but if AC is in your plans, you'll want the floor insulated...
(09-23-2016, 06:29 PM)BradKW Wrote: [ -> ]Fair to say that Bob's plan makes sense as a tradeoff if you're only going to be heating, but if AC is in your plans, you'll want the floor insulated...

Ah yes, definitely insulating for colder climates.
If you're going to lay out the 1" pink insulation board then the only way to make sure that it doesn't compress from walking on the finished floor and/or the weight of all the stuff on it is to frame out the floor with 1x2 and put the insulation in between the 'studs' then plywood over top.

Just putting the insulation on the floor then plywood will leave the insulation being crushed over time to the point where you could have just saved yourself the money and the time.
Vanada:  "Options:
2) Cut strips of board insulation to fill the approx 0.3" deep grooves in the floor then 1/2" plywood with interlocking laminate as above.
3) Lay down the 1" foam board then put interlocking laminate directly on top of that.
4) ... the finall option is to layer the insulation, plywood and laminate but I don't fancy losing 1-5/8" to the floor.

1) Are you really intent on the laminate? It's not strong, it mars easily.
2) That's a lot of work.
3) Weak foam + weak laminate = doesn't seem like a good solution.
4) If you're determined to have something between the metal and the flooring, why not lay down some Reflectix and put plywood on top?  Totals about 3/4".  If you don't like raw wood, lay some vinyl flooring on top, you'll still have less than one inch.
(09-23-2016, 09:12 PM)TrainChaser Wrote: [ -> ]Vanada:  "Options:
4) ... the finall option is to layer the insulation, plywood and laminate but I don't fancy losing 1-5/8" to the floor.

1) Are you really intent on the laminate? It's not strong, it mars easily.
2) That's a lot of work.
3) Weak foam + weak laminate = doesn't seem like a good solution.
4) If you're determined to have something between the metal and the flooring, why not lay down some Reflectix and put plywood on top?  Totals about 3/4".  If you don't like raw wood, lay some vinyl flooring on top, you'll still have less than one inch.

I'm definitely swaying back towards not bothering with insulation, just sticking plywood down and something on top of that. I have a bunch of laminate I got free but I could always give it away again and change tact, no biggie. I just figured it's quite easy to put down, cleans well and gives a decent look.
Has anyone actually seen the pink stuff compress under these conditions? I'm not seeing that at all, even at the center bed post which takes all of my weight when I get in and out of bed. I have the thinnest, cheapest click together laminate I could find.