VanDweller Community Forums

Full Version: Relocating to Austin. Tips?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Been car living in TN for a year and am relocating to Austin soon. Any locals know good spots to park? How are the cops?

I'd prefer s/w near Bastrop if you can.
Welcome to the CRVL forums, Viceroy!

Freecampsites doesn't show anything very close to Bastrop
https://freecampsites.net/#!Bastrop,+TX,+United+States

There was a member who offered her place.Can't remember if it was SA or Austin. I'll see if I can find the thread

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.
She hasn't visited the forum since 2015. she may get notifications of PMs or replies to the thread in her email
here's the thread. she is (or was) in Austin
http://www.cheaprvliving.com/forums/Thre...#pid124437
I was visiting a buddy in north Austin a few months ago and found this spot: 30.42851, -97.78158  (paste coordinates into Google Maps). It's a power relay or whatever back down a small dirt road in some trees. You'll have shade and a little cover / privacy from passing drivers and homeowners. It's probably best to use this spot just to sleep. But in my case, I killed an afternoon there waiting for my buddy and his wife to get back from work, and no one hassled me. It was quiet, peaceful, and shady.
I never boondocked in Austin, and I haven't lived there in 10 years or so
When last I was there, you would want to hide yourself, or driveway surf, the cops liked to 'move folks along'
When I was living in my car, I would sleep at truck stops and spend my days in the library if I wasn't working
There used to be a truckstop in Budda you could sleep in a vehicle at
As Art said, Austin cops are not known to be the warm, fuzzy type of cops. I think a lot of it has to do with the thousands of students going to UT. Worst case scenario is to ask a cop where might be a safe place to crash for a while. It's worked for me in the past, not in Austin tho, never tried it there.

Good luck. Rob