VanDweller Community Forums

Full Version: random roof question
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
So I am planning out my build of the cargo trailer.. while I wait for it to arrive.

Had a thought the other day- That wibbly sheet metal roof would generate a LOT of noise, say in a rain storm.. even with Polyiso or RMax between it and the ceiling... Might it be worth putting a thin layer of .. say carpet padding .. between the metal and the 'styro' ? muffle the noise? And carpet padding has some RValue, granted not much, but some.

Just askin'
My Peterbilt Motorhome conversion includes an 8x16 Morgan van box with a seemless .050" aluminum "roof." It has no insulation on the inside exposure.

During periods of heavy rain, hail, or sleet it is REALLY noisey. I love it! To me it is peaceful and reminds me that I'm close to nature.

With your plan for insulation I wouldn't think your build would be "too loud" that unless you want your space to me as quiet as possible; then consider your carpet idea. Research if there would be any issues with moisture accumulation; I'm not an expert on that.

Hope you post some build pics!
Growing up, I had an old Spinster "Aunt" (actually my Grandfather's first cousin) she was born in the 1880's and lived in the old family farmhouse in upstate NY (Green County). No electricity until my Dad made her put in a refrigerator in the 1960's ( she used a rock outcropping in the basement as her cool storage), no running water, she had a Summer and a Winter outhouse, there was a hand pump at the tin kitchen sink inside the house as well as one outside.
I LOVED that old house and the time spent visiting there!

This old house had a tin roof. We used to visit for days at a time and I slept in an upstairs bedroom which was basically under a steeply pitched roof. The roof was metal barn type roofing and when it rained it was GREAT!!!
The pitter patter of raindrops and even the drumming of heavy rain was a relaxing pleasure at night.

To this day I love rain storms, if I'm under a metal roof? All the better! I miss that old house........

Dave
(10-30-2016, 06:22 AM)GypsyDogs Wrote: [ -> ]So I am planning out my build of the cargo trailer.. while I wait for it to arrive.

Had a thought the other day-  That wibbly sheet metal roof would generate a LOT of noise, say in a rain storm.. even with Polyiso or RMax between it and the ceiling...  Might it be worth putting a thin layer of .. say carpet padding .. between the metal and the 'styro' ?  muffle the noise?  And carpet padding has some RValue, granted not much, but some.

Just askin'

You're planning to install solar panels on your roof racks, right?  Have you considered putting a plywood over-roof on the racks and mounting the solar panels to it?  Not only should this cut the rain noise way down, but the over-roof provides shade to the real roof and keeps the inside temperature a lot lower.  I believe Bob has done this to his cargo trailer.
Old Land Rovers call this a Sahara roof you don't need a lot of space between the actual roof top and the "Sahara"roof inch or so
Here's a link to Bob's blog on his cargo trailer, with a picture showing the roof:

http://www.cheaprvliving.com/living-conv...o-trailer/

More pictures and information in this blog post:

http://www.cheaprvliving.com/heat-cold/d...heat-cold/
A $300 spray foam kit would be the ideal choice for roof underside, for a few reasons. But covering the whole thing with solar panels sounds like more fun...
I also love the sound of rain on a metal roof. very soothing. if the rain is real light it sounds like popcorn popping. highdesertranger
(10-30-2016, 08:15 AM)BradKW Wrote: [ -> ]A $300 spray foam kit would be the ideal choice for roof underside, for a few reasons. But covering the whole thing with solar panels sounds like more fun...

Or the sound deadening stuff hot rodders and car audio people use, like Dynamat or its competitors. 

http://www.dynamat.com/
Just for clarity, I am meaning the chopped foam stuff they lay UNDER carpet, not actual carpet.
And plywood.. hmmm..
if/when they put in the 3rd rack mount, that would be doable! Thanks for reminding me. Would likely do about half the roof at least.. (because I too, like the sound of rain on tin roof) but the sun-shielding would be good... though, being in Oregon.. the rain can be a bit.. rain. lol Wouldn't want to go deaf on a camping trip. Wink
Pages: 1 2