VanDweller Community Forums

Full Version: WANTED: Cargo Broker
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Uship will put your load and the details about it out for bid with the drivers leased to them. Depending on how big your load is and where it is going will determine the price. I was pleased with the driver(s) I had. If you have just a few pallets of goods then an LTL (less than trailerload) carrier such as Yellow freight can also do it for you but at Union prices.

If it is boxes of household goods you can always go with Allied or North American Van lines. They were expensive and slower for me as they put you on a truck and the truck will spend time filling up his trailer and when you actually get your freight is a crapshoot. But they can take it to one of their warehouses and hold it for you.

When I used Uship I had quite a bit of stuff and didn't want to tote all the crap in the house alone so I hired some day labor guys to do the leg work. You can also ask the driver to do the hiring.

Rob
(11-11-2016, 11:49 PM)highdesertranger Wrote: [ -> ]if you are trying to E-mail a company on the weekend it's best to wait until Monday night before you start to wonder why they haven't got back to you.  highdesertranger

I emailed them Friday at lunchtime, but the concept might still apply because I'm sure they were consumed by Friday-itis. :-)

Plus, the sad fact is that in today's  business  environment, anything that's not on their standard checklist or script confuses them into paralysis or non-applicable canned replies. 

I hold out hope for a useful reply.

Vagabound
Rob, thanks.  It amounts to about 2 pallets of boxes and an odd shaped thing or two.  No furniture.  2.5 cubic meters, so about 90 cubic feet total.

Come to think of it, there might be a way to get this done more easily and keep the money "in the family" so to speak.  If I can find a qualified customs broker just to get it out of customs, then another option might be possible.  If some trustworthy CRVL-ite was in or could easily be in the LA area, had the hauling space, and wanted to make some extra money, maybe we could work out a deal for pickup and transport to storage.  Hmmm.  If that strikes anyone as interesting (and you're not old, disabled, and in a wheelchair), then let me know via PM.

Still scratching my head on this ... but starting to scratch faster ;-)

Vagabound
For a short local trip here's one.

http://jpwfreight.com/

Should not be hard to arrange.
(11-12-2016, 10:46 AM)Gunny Wrote: [ -> ]For a short local trip here's one.

http://jpwfreight.com/

Should not be hard to arrange.

Of course I need to call to be sure, but I think the problem with all of these, most likely, is that while they do transport, they are not customs brokers, and so they are unable to get the shipment through customs in the first place.  Do you know different?

Vagabound
I'm sorry I don't. A call to the local guy could tell you I am sure. I don't want to pass on any false information. Bonding agencies will have Customs on site and they are more concerned about what you are bringing in rather than who is picking it up, but a short call may give you an answer.

Sorry I could not be of more help. I will bow out now.

Rob
(11-12-2016, 12:10 PM)Gunny Wrote: [ -> ]I'm sorry I don't. A call to the local guy could tell you I am sure. I don't want to pass on any false information. Bonding agencies will have Customs on site and they are more concerned about what you are bringing in rather than who is picking it up, but a short call may give you an answer.

Sorry I could not be of more help. I will bow out now.

Rob

Rob,

No, no, your info has been very helpful.  Thanks a bunch for that.  Just thinking out loud.  

I need to call around some now, and also wait to see if anyone's second cousin's hairdresser's old boyfriend is a cargo broker! ;-)

Vagabound
I just got 2 replys. They want to know where the cargo is coming from.
(11-13-2016, 09:36 AM)Ella1 Wrote: [ -> ]I just got 2 replys.  They want to know where the cargo is coming from.

Opium fields of North Vietnam.

Nah, just goshing!  I wish I was that exciting.  My cargo bores even me.

I'll send you a PM.

Vagabound
Pages: 1 2 3