VanDweller Community Forums

Full Version: WANTED: Cargo Broker
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
(aka "Seven Degrees of Separation")

First, I'm used to contributing a lot and not asking for much.  However, since my move back to the U.S., that's been turned on its head.  Makes me uncomfortable.  But, I'm going to ask for assistance here to prevent possible bad outcomes.

----------

Long story short:  
I've got household goods coming on a cargo ship from abroad to Los Angeles Port.  Arrives in 6 days.  My original plan had two parts:  1)  Go there with my own van / truck to pick it up, and 2) clear it through Customs myself.  I've done that in other countries a few times, never a problem.

This time, the situation is a bit different.  I'm sick again (twice in three weeks) and haven't found a vehicle yet.  So, the situation is more complicated.  My back-up plan now is to hire an honest, dependable "customs broker" to clear my stuff through Customs and to put it in temporary storage until I can get there (+/-30 days).  Simple enough.  The hard part is finding one.

My challenges:  
1)  I don't know the normal methods of a customs broker, costs, etc. (I usually do it myself)
2)  Lots of unscrupulous businesses surrounding the port, especially one like LAX.  Yellow Pages isn't the most reliable way to do this.
3)  I have very little time to learn and I'm under the weather.

So, I want to test the "seven degrees of separation" theory ... or at least to three degrees or so. ;-)

What do I mean?  Hopefully one of the following is true, starting with the most helpful:

a.  Someone on this forum is a customs broker themselves.
b.  Someone on this forum knows a customs broker.
c.  Someone ... knows someone ... who knows someone ... you get the idea

My goal would be to talk to this person and get quickly educated, so I don't make a mess out of this.

Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Vagabound
hmm... I know someone who is looking for a customs broker, does that count?
Call customs, explain the situation, and they will give you options.  Have the shipping information ready.

BTW, it is the Port of Los Angeles and not LAX, which is the air hub.
(11-11-2016, 09:52 AM)BradKW Wrote: [ -> ]hmm... I know someone who is looking for a customs broker, does that count?

You can always be counted on for levity.  It ain't the name of a broker, but it's something.  Thanks. Smile

Quote:GotSmart:  BTW, it is the Port of Los Angeles and not LAX, which is the air hub.

Yeah, I know that.  I got tired of trying to explain that to my source shipping company, quit, and just started referring to the port the way they do -- LAX.  That said, I think that others in that field use it also.  For example, every bill of lading has a unique ID number.  Mine for this shipment ends with the letters "LAX".

Thanks for the idea of calling Customs.  When I think of ease and speed, calling the government is never my first impulse, but might have to do that.

Vagabound
http://www.uship.com/LandingPages/custom/us-brand-split-audience-A.html?page=brandus&-_uship_-_non-exact-ship_broad_deviceis_c&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Brand%20-%20uShip%20-%20Non-Exact&utm_term=u-ship&utm_content=uShip&alwaysShowCCTA

Bonded, you need to make sure whoever you use can pick up at a bonded warehouse. Freight traveling 'in bond' sometimes has issues.

You probably know but a bonded warehouse is very secure and almost any reputable freight broker can give you a name. I've used uship 3 times with good results and they should be able to set you up.

Rob
(11-11-2016, 11:50 AM)Gunny Wrote: [ -> ]http://www.uship.com/LandingPages/custom/us-brand-split-audience-A.html?page=brandus&-_uship_-_non-exact-ship_broad_deviceis_c&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Brand%20-%20uShip%20-%20Non-Exact&utm_term=u-ship&utm_content=uShip&alwaysShowCCTA

Bonded, you need to make sure whoever you use can pick up at a bonded warehouse. Freight traveling 'in bond' sometimes has issues.

You probably know but a bonded warehouse is very secure and almost any reputable freight broker can give you a name. I've used uship 3 times with good results and they should be able to set you up.

Rob

Thanks, Rob.  Sent uShip an inquiry just now.  My guess is they're used to doing the whole process, rather than jumping in at the end and finishing it, but I'd like to be wrong because I'd like an alternative to the only place I've found so far.  That one gives me the heebie-jeebies a bit.

Vagabound
Well I think U ship would see it as 'delivery from port of delivery to storage' so it shouldn't be a problem
but don't quote me on that, I'm just some guy on the interweb
uship gave you the heebie jeebies?

If you have to store it consider one of the large moving companies. Plenty of space but a bit pricey.
(11-11-2016, 01:45 PM)Gunny Wrote: [ -> ]uship gave you the heebie jeebies?

No, I was talking about the first company I found (but didn't describe here).  I fear it is one of the shady places I'm trying to avoid.  uShip is the second one on my options list now, thanks to you.  So far, they haven't answered my email, which isn't a great sign.  I'll give them 24 hours though before bugging them again.

Thanks again for suggesting them.  If I could get one or two more potential cargo brokers, and they all give me quotes, that would be a decent comparison.

Vagabound
if you are trying to E-mail a company on the weekend it's best to wait until Monday night before you start to wonder why they haven't got back to you. highdesertranger
Pages: 1 2 3