VanDweller Community Forums

Full Version: Almost new van leaks!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I have a 2016 Chevy extended cargo van with 25000 miles.  Since the fiberglass guy is suppose to install the high-top this week (hopefully), I figured this is the last time to take the van thru a self-serve drive-thru high pressure car-wash.  UNFORTUNATELY, the van actually has a leak!  The van is completely metal inside except the front "cab" area and I did not take of the front door panels off to check.  I will be doing that down the road.

The leak is in the secondary side barn-door...the one you open second on the side barn doors.  It is a really bad design where it leaks.  The spot where the opening restriction arm that is attached to the van and goes thru the side of the door to keep the door from opening more than 90dg has a 2" x 2" hole and is not sealed in any way.  So the car-wash with its high power jets shot water into the door seam and some went thru the hole and into the door itself.  I noticed all the doors have 2 weep-holes.  This is the only one that leaked...the others have some kind of rubber barrier.

I plan on insulating the doors.  I think I can fix the hole by removing the arm and blocking the hole.  I would rather have the door open past 90dg anyway.  I will definitely be leaving some kind of channels for any water to get to the weep-holes.
It's not unheard of that new or newer vehicles have already made a trip to the body shop after an accident.

You'd be surprised how many new cars have been repaired before they even hit the showroom floor!

All repairs aren't top notch quality........

Dave
(11-15-2016, 11:58 AM)djkeev Wrote: [ -> ]It's not unheard of that new or newer vehicles have already made a trip to the body shop after an accident.

You'd be surprised how many new cars have been repaired before they even hit the showroom floor!

All repairs aren't top notch quality........

Dave

Dave,
Fortunately, I don't see evidence of that.  I just see a design flaw. I think (we'll see) it's an easy fix.
Virgil
I wouldn't worry about trying to find a fix for it.

Once you get the high top on and a roof vent in, etc, you won't be taking it through any high powered car washes anyways... Smile 

At least you've proven that the tops of the doors themselves are properly aligned. I have to find someone who is good at adjusting the doors on vans to tweak mine so that they don't leak during the heaviest of rain storms. Light rain doesn't come in but a heavy downpour does.
it's never going to rain as hard as a pressure washer. a pressure washer will blow water though the best seals. most bike manufacturers tell you not to use a pressure washer because you will actually blow water past the seals into the crankcase and bearings. what I am trying to say is I wouldn't worry about water intrusion with a pressure washer. I would take a regular hose with city water pressure and test for leaks. highdesertranger
(11-15-2016, 04:19 PM)highdesertranger Wrote: [ -> ]it's never going to rain as hard as a pressure washer.  a pressure washer will blow water though the best seals.  most bike manufacturers tell you not to use a pressure washer because you will actually blow water past the seals into the crankcase and bearings.  what I am trying to say is I wouldn't worry about water intrusion with a pressure washer.  I would take a regular hose with city water pressure and test for leaks.  highdesertranger

I've heard the same on bikes, I do just use a garden hose on mine. 
 The problem is not getting past a seal, the problem is a lack of seal in that spot...that is the design flaw.  The access hole for the door "stay" going into the door has no gasket or barrier between it and the "crack" when the door is closed. I am simply going to remove the stay and plug the hole.
I am confused, not hard to do. so you are saying that when it rains the door will leak? got any pics? highdesertranger
(11-16-2016, 08:32 AM)highdesertranger Wrote: [ -> ] 
I am confused,  not hard to do.  so you are saying that when it rains the door will leak?  got any pics?   highdesertranger

Here is a picture of the 2nd side barn door open with the "restriction arm" holding the door at 90dg open.  Notice the big hold the arm goes thru on the door (door is on the left side of the picture).  Also notice the black weather stripping (on the right and attached to the van body)  is after where the water comes in and then goes into the door thru the "arm hole".   Will the van leak on a normal rain...probably not.  But, on the highway in rain and trucks splashing water who knows.  I will just be removing the arm and covering the hole.

[attachment=10184]
for some reason this attached sideways and I can't figure how to right it. sorry
I think there should be a rubber grommet around that strap sealing it to the hole.
I would go to the dealer, and ask WTF is up with that.  Perhaps check out other vans on the lot to see if there is a difference. 

It looks real rough for a 2016 van.
Pages: 1 2