VanDweller Community Forums

Full Version: Lest we Forget....
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Yes, we must never forget
Is that like remember the Alamo?
Holding grudges against people who are no longer alive makes little sense to me.
The thing to learn from history is to always be prepared. Any Boy Scout can tell you that.
First off, as a Texan, i can assure you that to most of us, remember the Alamo is not about holding grudges, it's about respect for the men who gave their lives there, standing true against insurmountable odds, to buy time for the gathering of forces, thus saving the lives of many others, so thanks for that uncharitable characterization, based on assumption

remembering Pearl Harbor is about remembering the lessons learned there, so as not to be taken by surprise again, and honoring the men who gave their lives THERE, in the service of our country, or isn't that important?
Not a grudge day, a Remembrance Day in honor of those we lost.
If we allow ourselves to forget and slip back into complacency history is much more likely to repeat itself. WWW1 morphed into WW11 because we forgave and forgot.

Japan is arming itself again contrary to their terms of surrender. Demanding we remove troops from Bases agreed upon in The Act of Surrender.

Remember The Day That Will Live in Infamy.

Rob
Being I am ex-Navy, this is a day I always remember. We were dealt a cowardly blow that Sunday morning, but it was the catalyst this nation needed to get serious about fighting and winning WWII.

Today is a different world. Japan has only a "Self Defense Force", and is no danger to us or our other allies. They are one of our strongest friends in the Asian sphere now. They look to Communist China as their biggest enemy. We need to support Japan and Taiwan as China begins their aggressive expansion.
(12-07-2016, 10:31 AM)ArtW Wrote: [ -> ]First off, as a Texan, i can assure you that to most of us, remember the Alamo is not about holding grudges, it's about respect for the men who gave their lives there, standing true against insurmountable odds, to buy time for the gathering of forces, thus saving the lives of many others, so thanks for that uncharitable characterization, based on assumption

remembering Pearl Harbor is about remembering the lessons learned there, so as not to be taken by surprise again, and honoring the men who gave their lives THERE, in the service of our country, or isn't that important?

I am a Vietnam era vet, so don't try to wave a flag at me. If you were to honor every individual killed in every war throughout history, I doubt if there wouldn't be a day that wasn't a holiday. We have memorial day to honor fallen vets. Constantly bringing up that this country attacked us for 70 + years is holding a grudge.  I suppose other countries should hold yearly memorials of the day we attacked them and rub it into your grand children's noses. Lets see, Korea, Vietnam, Cuba, (Bay of Pigs), Granada, Iraq, Afghanistan, Those are just some of them. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_wa...ted_States
(12-07-2016, 12:05 PM)LeeRevell Wrote: [ -> ]Being I am ex-Navy, this is a day I always remember.  We were dealt a cowardly blow that Sunday morning,

Cowardly?? I think it takes some pretty big balls to fly small planes in low to attack a large fleet of modern war ships, a bit more risky then dropping a few A bombs from 10,000 feet.
(12-07-2016, 12:05 PM)LeeRevell Wrote: [ -> ]We need to support Japan and Taiwan as China begins their aggressive expansion.

How about we mind our own business? Wealthy people wave the flags beat the drums, send propaganda through the media and poor idiots go marching off to war. The people who send others to war don't send their kids to the front lines.

An attack is only cowardly if it is someone else doing the attacking. The people getting Napalmed didn't think the pilots were all that brave.
Pages: 1 2