VanDweller Community Forums

Full Version: Crimper + Instructions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I picked up a hydraulic crimper on Cyber Monday special for $40 and it was just delivered. I haven't used it yet, but the instructions had me laughing...

[Image: IMG_20161204_182153_zpsonch5g2o.jpg]
[Image: IMG_20161204_182203_zpsxqgem5b2.jpg]

My favorite lines: The Step 2 is by analogy with Step one. 
Don't disassemble at discretion.
I like the line where leaking is normal. highdesertranger
Is that the 16 ton? I had order the 10 or 12 ton for under 30 bucks and they sent me a monster.
One of the drawbacks to these foreign crimpers is that labeled die size has no relation to...well, anything. Having never crimped a battery cable, any advice on how to choose a die, or know when it's "crimped enough" versus "damn, overdid it" ?

I have some extra terminals and wire to play around with...

edit: yep, the 16 ton... https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GXQ2E5E/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
(12-08-2016, 07:18 PM)BradKW Wrote: [ -> ]One of the drawbacks to these foreign crimpers is that labeled die size has no relation to...well, anything. Having never crimped a battery cable, any advice on how to choose a die, or know when it's "crimped enough" versus "damn, overdid it" ?

I have some extra terminals and wire to play around with...

edit: yep, the 16 ton... https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GXQ2E5E/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

what type of connectors do you use the tool with?  I'm familiar with Anderson powerpoles are there any other?
I ran into some nice connectors that you solder called xt60.
When it comes to battery cable lugs i have a block of metal that i sit on a concrete driveway or floor , i then hold the battery cable into the hole of the lug and then sit both combined on top of the block of metal , i then smash it with a hammer for a solid connection wrapped with heat shrink.
(12-08-2016, 07:36 PM)Larry48 Wrote: [ -> ]what type of connectors do you use the tool with?  I'm familiar with Anderson powerpoles are there any other?
I ran into some nice connectors that you solder called xt60.
When it comes to battery cable lugs i have a block of metal that i sit on a concrete driveway or floor , i then hold the battery cable into the hole of the lug and then sit both combined on top of the block of metal , i then smash it with a hammer for a solid connection wrapped with heat shrink.

[Image: 61xSRZZnlHL._SL1500_.jpg]

Ancor Marine Grade Heavy-duty Lugs

There are inexpensive crimpers that operate like you describe, basically a hammer. I got the hydraulic one for three reasons:
1) I spent too much time reading Marine forums with very picky crimper people posting,
2) $40 seemed reasonable
3) I have a bunch of 1 awg needing crimped, so figure I'll go ahead and make my own battery cables too...
1/0 is a 50 per a standard lug. I had to bring 1/0 pin lugs down in steps starting with a 95.
You need 1 AWG or 1/0? I got a bag of lugs that were suppose to be 1/0 and there ain't no way. The pin lugs are the same was except I can run a 7/16 bit down those on the drill press. I have 50, drilled 4 and have used two so far. The pin fits the controller oh so nice. Smile
The "very picky crimper people" got into my head as well! I'm hesitant to buy any more tools that I might only use once though. I have extra lugs and can bodge a few figuring out a good DIY method and hopefully they'll never find out Wink . It's just like committing a thought-crime.
One can certainly achieve a good mechanical connection yet it can be a poor electrical connection.

High amperages + time, reveal all

Obligatory Mainesail Link:

http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/battery_cables

Page 4 might have one regretting their purchase.
Pages: 1 2 3