VanDweller Community Forums

Full Version: Request Thoughts on this Insulation Mat.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Hello folks,
this will be my 2nd time living out of a van, 1st time I used the home depo/lowes foam board and was vary much dissapointed at how poorly this worked. I will now be in a much smaller van and I am looking vary hard at this material here.
http://www.roxul.com/products/residentia...omfortbatt
the product I will use is there R-23, this is a 5 1/2 inch thick material.
Reading over the product spec's the only down side to useing this material is the thickness and for me a few inches lost in total cubic feet living space will be an easy sacrafice for comfort.
If you have the time I would apreciate it if you would look over this material your selves and I guess sanity check my choice of this material.
thank you.
Perhaps tell us a bit about why you were disappointed with the foam board - how it was installed and in what and what you felt it didn't do for you.

If you're moving in to a smaller than regular van, losing almost a foot of usable space (5 1/2" on each side of vehicle) doesn't sound like a plan I'd want to do. Not even if I was living in Alaska in the dead of winter!
If you're looking for maximum R value I'd go with closed cell spray foam. It will take up less space and have less gaps allowing air through. Losing 5 1/2" on each side and I'd assume you're doing the ceiling so you'll lose another 5 1/2 there and you're not going to have much space left. You'd also have to build some sort of frame to support 5 1/2" thick material.

I think some more background info would help like Almost there mentioned.......why you weren't happy, what climate you are in, what you hope to achieve, what you use for heating and cooling, etc.
After reading about the product, I would not think it will work in a van.  Any movement makes it crumble.  A van is constantly flexing and conducting road vibrations.  

Quote:Used it in my basement walls. Great for insulation and very water repellent. Cuts easily. It's a bit finicky and crumbles more readily than I would have expected. Best to figure out exactly where you want it and never move it again
Ok about my first van, this was a large stepvan I built up the walls floor bulkhead and celing with 2 inch foam board. I used 2x2 lumber for the frame's and used standard 16 inch spaceing. the wall's, bulkhead and floor's were 3/4 inch plywood.
I did not know a lot at the time about insulation and all three surfaces had no airgap or any other material between the foam board and the metal wall of the van itself.
This was used in utah salt lake city, 100's in the summer and below freezing in the winter.  I thought I had done a pretty good job insulating this van boy was I wrong. in the summer it was unlivable and winter only barley so with a huge propane heater I even drilled out the propane needle valve to get more heat out my heater.
the walls and floor were cold enough my sox would stick to the floor, I got some carpet asap and that helped.
I don't rember the brand of the foam board I used I just rember looking for the best r value I could find I think it had a r value of 5 or 6.

My new van is a Ford e350 with a fiberglass highTop , so I have plenty of hight to playwith about 8-12 inches depending on where I am standing in the van. I am thinking somthing like reflectx on the walls and floor with this roxul on top of the reflectix stuff with a small airgap between the the roxul and the plywood floor's / walls.
This time around I will mostly in the north west us wa, or north ca possibly a few stint's in montana. I am moving there because cold is far far prefered for me than the heat. Hot weather will make it impossible to for me to rest, cold weather I will at least be able to rest much better.
The celing is going to be the biggest pita to insulate but I have a few idea's there.
Heating a smaller space will take less energy. In a van, space is a premium, so using thick insulation gives diminishing returns. I don't know if Roxul is available in anything thinner than 3 1/2 " so how you would slice it thinner and evenly would be interesting.

Have you looked into denim? Most people boo hoo it, but the object of all insulation is to keep it dry. For the floor something like rubber exercise mats may be more appropriate.
Ok so It looks like one nay on the material and a few suggestions for things to try.
To every one I want to say thank you for  your opinion's and time. I think it's time to do some actual testing.
I am going to build a test wall and just bungie it upright for a week or 2 driving it around going over speed bumps dips etc.
after that time I will dissasemble the wall and examine the material and see what we can see.

I don't know about denum insulation, grab lots of goodwill jeans ? I will do some more research on this.
as for spray foam insulation it sounds good and the vid's look neat but if you screw up the install you have a huge mony pit to clean it up and try again and there is the crumbling issue there as well as with everything to do with insulation I need to do more research.
(12-23-2016, 12:05 PM)666JTK666 Wrote: [ -> ]Ok so It looks like one nay on the material and a few suggestions for things to try.
To every one I want to say thank you for  your opinion's and time. I think it's time to do some actual testing.
I am going to build a test wall and just bungie it upright for a week or 2 driving it around going over speed bumps dips etc.
after that time I will dissasemble the wall and examine the material and see what we can see.
I have little doubt that one week is not going to be anywhere near long enough of a test period for you to figure out if the Roxul wil crumble.

I don't think we're talking instant disaster here, we're talking more in the line of a year or two down the road. Years ago we started out with pink fiberglass because that was all that was available. It worked but if you ever had a leak, it soaked up water like a sponge and of course it itched like crazy if you came in to contact with it.

Then foam insulation came in to vogue. The problem with it was that we found that within a year or so we started to have weird little squeaks coming from all over the van when running down the highway. The foam was not adhering to the painted walls of the vans and was shifting, crumbling in spots and then moving against the walls, causing some really funny noise makers. And of course, as it crumbled it fell to the bottom of the cavity, leaving less and less insulation in place.

I'd suggest taking a small piece of the Roxul and play with it in your hands for hours and hours. Try making it crumble! If it does, then vibration of a moving vehicle is going to make it come apart sooner or later.

Also, I notice that you are thinking of using Reflectix - if you do use it, note that it requires a dead air space between it and the van wall to be effective as a radiant heat barrier. If you install it directly against the van wall, you may as well just not put it in there, it won't do you any good at all. I used bubble wrap as a dead air space when I did my van in Reflectix. Others have tried other installation techniques as well.
Pages: 1 2 3