VanDweller Community Forums

Full Version: Glue to patch Thermarest mattress?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi,

I've patched Therm-a-Rest  mattresses before. I know how to do it. I have some little fabric patch material. What I'm missing is the glue. I researched online what kind of glue to get, and haven't really found a definitive answer.

Without buying another patch kit, which I'm trying to avoid because I'd like to use my old patches, can anybody recommend a type of generic, readily available glue that I can buy that would be suitable for Therm-a-Rest mattress fabric?

Thanks,

Tom

----------

Patch method info - generally applicable:

http://m.wikihow.com/Patch-a-Leak-in-an-Air-Mattress
Can you call Therma-a-Rest and have them recommend something?
try Sikkaflex 221... it's my answer to everything Wink
Hey Tom................the missus  had an fabric coated air bed........the cats would punch some tiny holes with their claws

I went to a DIVE shop and purchased a wet-suit neoprene adhesive........it worked even without the patch on the tiny holes

doug
DuneElliot:
Not on a Sunday. ;-)

Brad:
Grrrrrrrr.

That stinkin' Geocel that you recommended was just sad.  Geocel might be a wonderful sealant in Key West with paradise temperatures, but it was crap here in cold weather. Despite the company saying that it can be applied down to zero degrees,  it wouldn't even come out of the tube at 40 degrees.  Never again. 

Tom
(01-08-2017, 03:56 PM)abnorm Wrote: [ -> ]Hey Tom................the missus  had an fabric coated air bed........the cats would punch some tiny holes with their claws

I went to a DIVE shop and purchased a wet-suit neoprene adhesive........it worked even without the patch on the tiny holes

doug

1. Cool idea. Thanks.

2.  Dive shop ... desert ... hmm.

Tom
I'd probably use leather glue then if it can't wait...that stuff is tough. I use it on all my leather armor!!!
The neoprene glue is nowhere near the same as the thermarest glue.

I have a never used 20 year old T-rest repair Kit, and I believe the glue squeeze tube is hard as a rock at room temperature, and is to be dropped in a hot water bath before application.

I've found wetsuit glue to be pretty good, for anything but sealing/repairing wetsuits. The best wetsuit glue seems to be no different than 'amazing goop' that one can buy in any hardware store, except some of it is black instead of clear.

I'd be afraid it would not last and then the repaired area on the thermarest would repel all further attempts to fix it. If amazing goop or similar is used, I would make the patch much larger than required, and oval shaped.
Go to Walmart's sporting goods corner, and get a package of air mattress repair kit, probably "Coughlin's" brand like much of that SG stuff they sell.
(01-08-2017, 04:34 PM)LeeRevell Wrote: [ -> ]Go to Walmart's sporting goods corner, and get a package of air mattress repair kit, probably "Coughlin's" brand like much of that SG stuff they sell.

That's probably what I'll have to do. Turns out that the fabric I saved so carefully for years is for repairing thin nylon tents, not air mattresses. It's too thin and probably not even capable of being airtight.

Tom
Pages: 1 2