VanDweller Community Forums

Full Version: wireless color temperature station
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I wanted this so bad , first store I went to ( Menards) had it.
It had a 120v AC cord that looked like it could be chopped to
run it off of 12 volts.
Nope , damn
Input 120 Vac  60hz. 7 watt
Output 5V ac  150ma
What a shame , even has a digital clock built in .
Any USB car charger can provide the 5V DC you need for the weather station, the trick is getting the right connector(s) on each end of the cable. You can cut and splice cables together, or use any of the array of adapter cables that are available online, example:

https://www.amazon.com/Generic-Volt-Barr...B00304DZ7I
(02-04-2017, 05:08 PM)AngryVanMan Wrote: [ -> ]Any USB car charger can provide the 5V DC you need for the weather station, the trick is getting the right connector(s) on each end of the cable.  You can cut and splice cables together, or use any of the array of adapter cables that are available online, example:

https://www.amazon.com/Generic-Volt-Barr...B00304DZ7I

Yes , 5 Volts dc would be  easy but it says it wants 5 volts Ac , I think I would  have to 
power it from a invertor.
Unless it's a typo
Almost 100% guaranteed to be a typo, especially if the unit can operate off AA batteries. Even if it's not a typo, most low voltage AC devices can operate on DC as it gets rectified inside the unit to DC. There are exceptions, but a weather station is not likely to be one of them. Smile
I've been using one of these for 2 years running on the same batteries. Cost less than 10 bucks. No color. Magnet on the back. Acurite indoor humidity monitor, temp, clock.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0013BKDO8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1
It says Output 5V ac  150ma on the plastic housing of the WALL WART/ transformer.
I'll hook dc up to it and see what  happens. 
Thanks
(02-04-2017, 05:20 PM)AngryVanMan Wrote: [ -> ]Almost 100% guaranteed to be a typo, especially if the unit can operate off AA batteries.  Even if it's not a typo, most low voltage AC devices can operate on DC as it gets rectified inside the unit to DC.  There are exceptions, but a weather station is not likely to be one of them. Smile

I found the specs , it uses AA batteries as back up power.
Thanks  for  posting.
I'd just get one that runs off batteries. Like pathofasha I've had one for years on batteries.. It was 3 remote sensors and the home base one. At home I use one in the garage, basement and outside. On the road i'll use one outside, one in the basement storage compartments and in the trailer.
(02-04-2017, 08:49 PM)Every Road Leads Home Wrote: [ -> ]I'd just get one that runs off batteries.  Like pathofasha I've had one for years on batteries..  It was 3 remote sensors and the home base one.  At home I use one in the garage, basement and outside.   On the road i'll use one outside, one in the basement storage compartments and in the trailer.
I already have one that runs on batteries,  doesn't light up though , nor does it have a clock.
Clocks that run off of AC usually use it as a frequency reference, so they will not keep good time when used on an inverter. Long-term average frequency of power lines in the US is very accurate.