VanDweller Community Forums

Full Version: Box Truck Floor Insulation
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Hello everyone!

I joined the forums a couple months ago and at that time, I was in the mindset of a solid tow vehicle and a converted cargo trailer.  I pretty much have the mechanics of insulation understood for the CCT, but I started watching the youtuber DreamSideOut.  He has converted a van-based box truck into a very nice RV.  That got me thinking again about using a box truck and towing a sturdy truck for off-road adventures/short-term camping.

Anyway, one thing that I don't quite have a grasp of is floor insulation in a box truck.  In a CCT, I would insulate on the inside, building up 1" - 1.5" over the stock floor.  Do I do the same in a box truck or should I consider insulation from below?  I just haven't seen the way that the floor is built/installed in a box truck to understand the best way.

Any advice (and warnings) about insulating and the box truck route in general would be appreaciated. I want to do the cab-attached-to-box truck built on a GMC platform because I understand that it a solid engine/transmission.  16' would be best.

Thanks!
My first thought is those black rubber mats that you can get from Home Depot and farm stores like Tractor Supply. There are 3' x 5' ones for about $20 each, and 4' x 7' ones for about $30. I think the HD ones are about 1/2" thick and the horse stall mats (at places like Tractor Supply) are 3/4" (also more expensive). Lay them down and you're done. If you spill something, drag them out and hose them down.
Box truck bodies I'm familiar with have a 5/4 oak floor. If the wood floor is sound without rot, consider using spray foam from underneath.
TrainChaser,

Thank you. Do I need a sealant over the spray foam? Thinking the spray flexible rubber or the rhino spray?

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
there is open cell and closed cell spray foam. I would think you would want closed cell, but i'm not sure. With closed cell there would be no need to seal it from the bottom. If you did open cell and sealed it on the bottom it would hold moisture.
I would consider spraying the applied foam with black paint. After it has cured.
No insulation on the floor. It's a waste of time in my opinion.
(02-08-2017, 01:22 AM)akrvbob Wrote: [ -> ]No insulation on the floor. It's a waste of time in my opinion.
Why is that, Bob? Van floors are typically insulated. Wouldn't coverage of small gaps between the floor boards be the minimum benefit?

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
I'm simply laying 4x8 sheets of rigid foam boards down with 1/4" ply + flooring...in my 16' box I have plenty of headroom to spare. I can't see any reason to mess with spray foam underneath, that could be pretty horrible. But my walls are spray foamed and that's nice.

Rick's box is only 10ft and I don't believe it has much tow capacity. He's happy with it, but I would definately get rid of the roll-up door
(02-08-2017, 06:05 AM)JesseTrue Wrote: [ -> ]Why is that, Bob? 

He's coming ffrom the angle that low-top vans are short enough on interior height as it is, and that floor insulation plays an important role in cooling (AC) not heating, and most vandwellers move location to adjust temps, not running an AC...
Pages: 1 2 3