VanDweller Community Forums

Full Version: CA Restaurants adding Min. Wage surcharge
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
To those that understand that money doesn't magically appear (Fiat Currency aside), prices going up when you vote to pay people more shouldn't come as a surprise. 

Restaurants have an interesting approach...they are adding a surcharge on to the final bill instead of just raising prices. Seems a bit passive-aggressive to me, but I guess I can understand their frustration and desire to make sure people see what they're paying for.

Restaurants respond to wage hike with dining surcharge
I don't understand.....

The Federal Reserve and the Big Banks create inflation by paying huge international bills by creating funds out of thin air and telling the Treasury/Mint to mfg more money, both of which makes the existing money worth less.

* The origins of basic resources raise their prices because the Fed has reduced the value of the dollar, thus increasing the cost of those resources.
* Manufacturers raise their prices because the cost of their materials has increased.
* Wholesalers raise their prices because the manufacturers are charging them more.
* Stores raise the price of their products because their wholesale purchase costs have increased.
* The consumer has to pay the stores more because the prices of everything are going up.
* But the consumers' employers scream bloody murder when their employees want higher wages to be able to buy necessities that keep going up.

HUH?

Is someone suggesting that the problem begins WITH THE MINIMUM WAGE EMPLOYEES, AND IT'S ALL THEIR FAULT?????

When I say that Americans have a serious problem with understanding cause-and-effect, I wonder why people look at me so blankly.
Yeesh, next they will add a surcharge when the CEO get a fat raise too. Likely more than the combined total of all the increased pay to the little people that actually make the money.
Hope the state makes sure minimum wage employees get by keeping track of it like they do tips, instead of the owners just adding to profits.
inflation strictly from wage increase of living in a tent to living in a roach infested apartment can easily be mitigated by net profits going from $5,000,000,000 to $4,000,000,000.
(02-07-2017, 02:22 AM)bardo Wrote: [ -> ]inflation strictly from wage increase of living in a tent to living in a roach infested apartment can easily be mitigated by net profits going from $5,000,000,000 to $4,000,000,000.

If we're talking about Mcdonald's, sure...but many businesses are small and can't look at it like that. The loophole for this only applying to full time employees seems strange, as many places will just hire 2 people to do one person's job. Will be interesting to see if CA's unemployment rate drops due to this.

After thinking about it, I kinda like the surcharge idea and think it should be expanded to include expenses incurred by government regulation and bureaucracy so people can see where their money is going.
"you're hamburger cost x more thanks to the 13th amendment"

you know what they could always do is run the restaurant themselves. Keep all the profits.
By adding a surcharge the Restaurant Owner recovers more than the increase in wages. Sort of like making a profit on employees.
In~N~Out burger starts people out at almost $4 an hour higher than other related businesses.  They have a lot more people behind the counter, and the product is less expensive.  

https://www.indeed.com/cmp/In--n--out-Burger/salaries

Dont tell me it cant be done.  Tongue
(02-07-2017, 07:38 AM)ccbreder Wrote: [ -> ]By adding a surcharge the Restaurant Owner recovers more than the increase in wages. Sort of like making a profit on employees.

That was my thought too. Does the surcharge actually accurately reflect the increased labor costs due to minimum wage increase? Since labor is not usually the biggest factor in the price of a menu item (usually in 20-35% range), the marginal increase due to a minimum wage increase would be quite small. If they are accurate and the surcharge reflects the restaurants actual increased costs, it would go a long ways towards educating people about how little of an impact on prices these laws actually have but I suspect that restaurants who do this are trying to misinform their customers so the customers will oppose minimum wage laws with a surcharge that is much higher. Also, it becomes pure profit for them.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8