VanDweller Community Forums

Full Version: Gas station scam
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Gas station scam where they switch nozzles before you arrive:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXwP1CWtx4k

And some gas station trivia:
How a gas nozzle knows when your tank is full
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFKOD3KRkZs
(02-22-2017, 09:26 PM)Every Road Leads Home Wrote: [ -> ]Gas station scam where they switch nozzles before you arrive:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXwP1CWtx4k
Thanks for posting this, as it's something to definitely keep an eye out for.
For some reason I always inspect the pump and nozzle before pumping. Must be my brain just works that way, so they would be hard pressed to pull that on me and get away with it. What they might get instead is a size 13 boot in their derriere.  I hate thieves and scammers!
I'm pretty sure i'd notice it too but in the moment perhaps not. Then if they further distract you by asking a question or something I can see getting fooled. Ballsy scam though.
(02-22-2017, 10:48 PM)Every Road Leads Home Wrote: [ -> ]I'm pretty sure i'd notice it too but in the moment perhaps not.  Then if they further distract you by asking a question or something I can see getting fooled.  Ballsy scam though.

I'm pretty wary, I even try to watch out for other folks too. If they were to try that around me, it might not be the best day they ever had.
(02-22-2017, 10:43 PM)Ballenxj Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks for posting this, as it's something to definitely keep an eye out for.
For some reason I always inspect the pump and nozzle before pumping. Must be my brain just works that way, so they would be hard pressed to pull that on me and get away with it. What they might get instead is a size 13 boot in their derriere.  I hate thieves and scammers!

Same here, though they'd feel my size 16 boondocker up their third point of contact. Not hard to tell the hoses are flipped. Basic part of situational awareness.
Figures it would be in Detroit..........

Another of the many reasons to NOT use a credit card;; especially at a gas station.
(02-23-2017, 08:31 AM)INTJoh Wrote: [ -> ]Another of the many reasons to NOT use a credit card;; especially at a gas station.

I "never" use a cc at a gas station, period!
ccbreder Wrote:It sounds like something Fox invented to fill news time.

I wouldn't put that past them. Dodgy
LeeRevell Wrote:Not hard to tell the hoses are flipped. Basic part of situational awareness.

True That! people, please pay attention to your surroundings.
IF you are using cards, be sure to check closely!!
[Image: giphy.gif]
(02-23-2017, 09:25 AM)gargoyle Wrote: [ -> ]IF you are using cards, be sure to check closely!!
And this is just one of the reasons I never use a cc at a gas station. I never use a cc at a convenience store either.
"It sounds like something Fox invented to fill news time."

HA! They don't have to -- people are stupid enough w/o news people trying to think.

Look around you when you're out and about. Everywhere you look, people are on their cell phones. I saw a NY video where a man pulled a gun on a woman and stole her cell phone on the subway. None of the many people around her even noticed, because they were all on THEIR cell phones. People can't drive, shop, ride a bicycle, walk the dog, pull weeds, just walk down the street OR pump gas without staring at their cell phones, texting or talking. They don't see anything but their phone.
Pages: 1 2 3