VanDweller Community Forums

Full Version: Air Compressors
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I haven't seen any recommendations for air compressors, so I thought I'd add my own and see if anyone else has their own favorites.

I've used this one for the past 4 years with great success.

[Image: 51ZMp0yt-lL._SX425_.jpg]

https://www.amazon.com/KOBALT-Electric-Portable-Compressor-Inflator/dp/B01DKKV8Q6/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1491597872&sr=8-6&keywords=kobalt+air+compressor

I've used it many, many times on my car tires, trailer tires, and bike tires.  It works for everything.  12Volt  and 120 volt so very versatile.
I have a small compressor that I can run off of my inverter, I also have a Ryobe handheld, (I already had the charger and batteries). http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-18-Volt.../206159256
There are a couple hundred previous threads talking about air compressors on the forum in case you want more input.
I have this one, based on the recommendation from JimInDenver I believe.  I haven't needed it in a real life scenario yet, but I lowered the pressure in my tires as if I were going off-roading and re-inflated them and I was happy with the performance.  Not going to win any speed records re inflating it, but if I'm out traveling, i'm in no rush anyways.  

https://www.amazon.com/Industries-MV50-SuperFlow-12-Volt-Compressor/dp/B000BM8RT8/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1491711271&sr=8-3&keywords=12+volt+air+compressor
The MV50 is what Bob uses too I think and is popular in the 4 wheel drive community to raise and lower tire pressure for off roading.
everybody who travels off the beaten path should have an air compressor.  I tried more than a few 12v ones even a top of the line Viair I found them lacking.  they are slow to pump up truck tires and that's really all they are good for.  you really can't hook them to a tank to have an air supply for air tools and the such they just don't put out enough CFM.  so I put a engine driven one on my truck.

[attachment=12373]

now I have a real compressor. I can air up a tire in seconds and run air tools.   highdesertranger
I assume that the average person here would have to pay someone else to build an engine driven air compressor for them.  Care to speculate on how much something like that would cost?
(04-09-2017, 07:17 AM)highdesertranger Wrote: [ -> ]everybody who travels off the beaten path should have an air compressor.  I tried more than a few 12v ones even a top of the line Viair I found them lacking.  they are slow to pump up truck tires and that's really all they are good for.  you really can't hook them to a tank to have an air supply for air tools and the such they just don't put out enough CFM.  so I put a engine driven one on my truck.

now I have a real compressor. I can air up a tire in seconds and run air tools.   highdesertranger

Have any details? It's a really good idea...
Modified MV-50 owner here. Very happy with it. Nearly 10 years old.

They can use some spit and polish to be turned into a very good compressor as quality control is suspect.

Very easy to disassemble and improve if one is inclined to do so. If not inclined, one should get an allen key and retorque the head bolts anyway.

Most every compressor has a duty cycle. Run only for so long then allow a period for cooling off. If this is not observed then they can turn into noisemaking battery depleters which allow a battery to deflate. Be observant of this possibility.

Part of my modifications included a 80MM computer fan blowing over the head and better heat conduction from cylinder to finned heatsink
Pages: 1 2 3