VanDweller Community Forums

Full Version: Using neoprene sheets inside fridge?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I  have an  old Norcold 3-way fridge and am beefing up insulation. I have installed 1/2" closed cell  neoprene sheets outside the fridge on the door & top.
Would there be a problem with toxicity or duraability if I use doublesided tape to install neoprene on the INSIDE rear wall of the fridge, below the cooling fins?
Neoprene is pretty non-toxic and inert for a petroleum based rubber...thus it's use for wetsuits and such. It is generally the adhesives that different applications combine with neoprene that are the toxic outgassers, such as toluene.

I actually like the smell of neoprene, but probably not so much if my food began to take it on. Only one way to find out I guess...please report back with results!
In my old dive bag the neoprene absorbed odors and got pretty stinky. Not trying to be a negative nelly, just something to be aware of.
I'm not so old that I need neoprene sheets, and I SURE as H*ll ain't sleepin' in the fridge!

Oh wait... that's not what you meant?  

In the words of the late, great Emily Litella,  "Oh, that's very different.  Never mind."
The neoprene used in wetsuits is full of tiny nitrogen bubbles.  Its these little bubbles that provide the insulation value.  Neoprene without these bubbles has basicly zero insulation value.
(04-15-2017, 08:04 AM)Optimistic Paranoid Wrote: [ -> ]Neoprene without these bubbles has basicly zero insulation value.

Yeah, I don't think neoprene has much of an insulation value in a case like this. Sorry.  It's also rather expensive (unless you happen to have it already) and heavy. Meanwhile, polystyrene is cheap, light and more effective.
I'd beef up the door seals with Neoprene cut to a precise thickness to allow the door to still seal properly, but not line the interior with it.

I do plan on beefing up my fridge door seals at some point, but will use an actual bulb seal from Mcmastercarr.

My previous Norcold compressor fridge had a loud vibration prone sawafuji compressor. I had isolated it inside the cabinet, and the bottom rested on a few layers of my old nepoprene wetsuits. I thought the neoprene would absorb the vibrations, and it would, with a certain amount of weight in the fridge, but heavier or lighter and the damn thing would cause something else to vibrate inside the van, and the harmonics of the vibrations caused the metal door skin to mysteriously develop all these dents that related directly to my knuckles.

I later found that an older style foam camping mattress, was much better at dampening the sawafuji vibrations, compared to neoprene which seemed to magnify them.
I have polyiso 1 1/2 " most places around the fridge, 1" otherwise as our clearances are pretty tight. Of course we have the cut-out for the compressor area. But we have a sleeping bag hung over the front of the door, and man-o-man, does it do the job, especially at the bottom of the door. Thankfully our floor is well insulated too. We also put in a muffin fan blowing the fridge compressor exhaust away from the area.

My only question is, how are you going to defrost the fridge with the neoprene?
Ted
(04-15-2017, 06:49 AM)hepcat Wrote: [ -> ]I'm not so old that I need neoprene sheets, and I SURE as H*ll ain't sleepin' in the fridge!

Oh wait... that's not what you meant?  
Depends. Oh wait, that's probably not what you were talking about either. Never mind. Tongue
I bought the neoprene sheets on sale at Harbor Freight. They are sold as "anti-fatigue foam sheets" for placement on shop floors. One reviewer said the sheets served as good insulation on cold concrete floors. I intend to attach them to the interior rear wall of the fridge with removable doublesided tape, which should removal, cleaning & defrosting easier. As it is cheap & easy to fit, I will give it a try.
Pages: 1 2