VanDweller Community Forums

Full Version: Color of Van Effect on Inside Temp
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I am wondering how much of an effect the color of a van has on how hot it gets inside in summer. (I know it has an effect but how big an effect?)

For example if a dark vehicle is out in the sun will the interior get hot alot faster than a white vehicle?

After setting in the sun for hours will the interior of the dark vehicle be hotter or at that point will they be the same?

Is painting the top white good enough or does the entire vehicle need to be white?

If the vehicle has a fiberglass high-top does the color of it make a difference?

Would it look weird to paint the high-top of a dark van white? Anyone have pics of that?

Thanks!
(04-20-2017, 10:02 AM)myway_1 Wrote: [ -> ]I am wondering how much of an effect the color of a van has on how hot it gets inside in summer. (I know it has an effect but how big an effect?)

back in the day, my brother and I both had 1967 442's, and we both worked at the same cabinet shop where we parked our cars in the employee lot in the direct sun, parked the same direction, and side by side in Las Vegas, NV. My brothers car was white, and mine was a dark green. One day we put a thermometer in each car while making sure they were not in direct sun light. We checked them at lunch time and found mine was about 10 degrees hotter.
Ten degrees may not sound like a lot, but trust me, on a hot day in a Vegas summer, ten degrees mad a huge difference.
Silver vehicle with white top for me it is then. Good research @Ballenxj
Color makes a huge difference.

I first painted my grey van's high top white. Huge reduction in temps. After I painted van body white, again huge difference, but more so at lower sun angles.

Adequate ventilation, exchanging inside air for outside air can negate much of the elevated temperature caused by dark colors.

Tight fitting reflextix window shades on the sunny side also make a big difference in interior temperatures.
Over on the Cargo Trailer sub-forum of the Teardrops and Tiny Travel Trailers forum, someone reported that they had compared a white trailer and a dark blue trailer parked side by side on a hot sunny day with one of those infrared thermometers.  The skin temperature on the dark trailer was 20 degrees hotter than the skin temperature on the white trailer.
(04-20-2017, 10:59 AM)ClassyGlobal Wrote: [ -> ]Silver vehicle with white top for me it is then.  Good research @Ballenxj

Right there with you; ... a few weeks ago I was checking out/considering a chrome wrap for my next rv (decided against it because I figured I might blind other motorists on clear, sunny days).

And yes, if anyone is wondering if a chrome wrap is actually available/possible; it is
yes the color makes a difference but if you park in direct sun on a 100 degree day it will be to hot no matter what color

in the shade is where you will see the best relief,whether a tree or some type of canopy/tarp

bob has a video about his
(04-20-2017, 10:59 AM)ClassyGlobal Wrote: [ -> ]Silver vehicle with white top for me it is then.  Good research @Ballenxj

Is there something especially good about a silver vehicle?
I worked in the Automotive paint industry for many years. I had a graph showing temperature difference by color. From white to black was a good 40 or more degree difference in temp. Probably more but I'm trying to err on the low side as I don't remember the exact numbers.
(04-20-2017, 02:27 PM)myway_1 Wrote: [ -> ]Is there something especially good about a silver vehicle?

I think silver and white are similar as far as heat absorption goes,  silver and white are also the best when it comes to hiding scratches and looking clean. 

Here's a study done on this exact subject
https://phys.org/news/2011-10-silver-whi...ooler.html
Pages: 1 2 3