VanDweller Community Forums

Full Version: Covering up windows
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I would like to permanently cover over one of the side windows in my 2001 Ford conversion van .
I am concerned about condensation and mold . I heard on one U Tube video that the window tint melted from the heat ???
Has anyone done this successfully ?
HOW ?
Try looking this thread up on this forum: (Under Conversions section) - Need to really start thinking about insulation and climate control
I have a Ford Ranger right now that my sister bought new in Las Vegas, NV. Soon afteward, window tint was applied professionally to help resist the extreme heat (to 116F). When I got it a few years ago, the film was blistered.

Personally, if I were doing what you want to do, I would use some kind of adhesive to attach Reflectix directly to the window, maybe even seal it around the edges with some kind of tape (maybe that metal tape for ductwork?). And then I would put something like Polyiso over it, and seal it again.

If you could get a small amount of that sealer that they use over vehicle paint now, I would paint that on, on the inside, on the window and around it.

But this is just my opinion. Whatever you end up doing, I wouldn't expect perfection, simply because you aren't going to have control over all of the conditions.
When I covered all my rear windows on my astrovan, all I used was doublesided tape to attach to the windows. I also use gorilla tape to keep the foam attached, 3 years later the foam is still attached. The gorilla tape is still on there tight.
If I had to do it again, I would just use hotglue to attach the foam. It sticks well to everything and drys quickly. I have have been using hotglue to attach the foam to the roof and 3 years later none of the foam has fallen off.
I have been using the rtech foam from home depot and never had any mold problems, and I run a swamp cooler in my van every day.
I just PlastiDipped my two rear windows in white and then added the glossy coating over that. On the inside, a sheet of black foam core, followed by polyiso insulation.

I'm guessing your exterior is custom paint, so I would spray black PlastiDip on the inside for an opaque look that looks great from the outside. Advantage of PlastiDip is that it can be removed if desired.
(05-28-2017, 09:46 AM)Artsyguy Wrote: [ -> ]I just PlastiDipped my two rear windows in white and then added the glossy coating over that. On the inside, a sheet of black foam core, followed by polyiso insulation.

I'm guessing your exterior is custom paint, so I would spray black PlastiDip on the inside for an opaque look that looks great from the outside. Advantage of PlastiDip is that it can be removed if desired.

Old thread I know but, has anyone tried the spray window frosting stuff to just add opaqueness to the windows?  I didn’t want to black plastidip or limo tint anything so as to not reduce all light, just wanted to render the windows opaque with the already dark tint.  

I get the plastidip total blackout look but that’s not what I was thinking of.  My view so to speak, is that I don’t want a cave, thus no t a windowless CV, just not one peering in to see what’s there.
Is it possible to use the privacy film used on house windows that's sold at places like home depot/lowes?
there a number of patterns available...
Haven't tried it but bubble wrap on Windows is said to offer privacy, diffused light and very minor insulation