VanDweller Community Forums

Full Version: Condensation/silica gel
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Had great success using a tin of (reusable) silica gel this past weekend.  We previously experienced serious condensation, so I bought a dry pack of 750 grams of silica gel for $15 (Amazon).  It’s in a perforated tin — something typically used in gun safes and on boats.  Worked like a champ - not a single drip on windows or under mattress (last year we were swimming…).

The crystals turn from orange to green as they absorb moisture, and ours were a medium-dark green after four days.  What I like about these is they can be recharged in a 250 degree oven (or perhaps left in the desert sun?).  

Passing along since it’s an inexpensive solution for those (like me) who can’t easily insulate with Polyiso.
I've had good luck with the DampRid closet hanging packets sold at Walmart.
The dollar stores have their own versions of DampRid, but cheaper, and they work exactly the same. Here in W. WA (DampCentral), they only seem to have them sporatically, so you would have to get them when you see them.
(05-20-2017, 09:14 PM)TrainChaser Wrote: [ -> ]The dollar stores have their own versions of DampRid, but cheaper, and they work exactly the same.  Here in W. WA (DampCentral), they only seem to have them sporatically, so you would have to get them when you see them.

Thanks...I saw those at dollar store but wondering if they are reusable or throw away?
They're just like DampRid. If you want to reuse the containers, dump and clean them, and refill from a larger container of DampRid or similar.

Technically, the liquid can be reused, but it takes a long time to solidify in the bottom, and then you dump the liquid, break up the solid stuff, and put it in the top. This is do-able in a house, when you're not moving for a long time, but I wouldn't recommend it for mobile travel. The liquid is mainly salt, and if it spills, it's kind of corrosive. That's why I recommend the dollar store stuff (about one-third the price of the brand name) -- it just isn't worth the wait and the possibility of damage if it spills.
I like these, they are noncorrosive, the filling is charcoal
They are more expensive than when I bought them.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006TFO9T8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also save the silica packs from shipped items, I have a friend save them from wood stoves that he installs.
Moso bags just help to purify the air, they don't really remove moisture.