VanDweller Community Forums

Full Version: Bad habits
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
How do you deal with them?
I don't have any.

Smile
I ignore them until its a prob then I try to be better until I forget it was a prob. Rinse and repeat. This is only half joking, I need to mature or something. Gonna be 50 in 2 years!
Try to ignore the whining and crying of my stomach when it wants food...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bad habits? That is a profound and useful question. Hope you get lots of responses.

1. One could do worse than starting off by reading a chapter or two in Benjamin Franklin's Autobiography. (Free download at Gutenberg.)

2. Is it fair to begin by discussing how NOT to handle bad habits: don't wake up in the morning and start nagging yourself with  "Thou Shalt Nots." That just makes you want to rebel. The more you say, "I shall eat less/spend less/drive less this week,"  the more you are thinking about eating, spending, and driving. That means you have already lost.

Instead, stay busy with interests/obsession/ or hell, even new vices, so that you crowd the old vices out.

3. Never take the slightest step backwards when breaking an old bad habit; it will undo a month of positive progress. Visualize a ratchet wrench.

4. Moderately or gradually reduce weak bad habits.

5. Absolutely ban from your life strong bad habits.
(06-03-2017, 01:37 PM)bLEEp Wrote: [ -> ]How do you deal with them?

If it is robbing banks, you just stop it and get a job. If it is buying expensive thongs, you start making yourself throw somethong away (and I mean TRASH) for every new thing you buy.
(06-03-2017, 02:29 PM)gcal Wrote: [ -> ]IIf it is buying expensive thongs, you start making yourself throw somethong away (and I mean TRASH) for every new thing you buy.

EXPENSIVE THONGS? You ain't right! Go to the ain't right room!!!!
I don't have any.

Disclaimer : 3 out of 3 ex wives mat disagree.
For my purposes I'll define bad habits as addictive, unhealthy products like sugar, caffeine and fast food. I know what's in them, how they're made and they lead to chronic health conditions.

I let them ride but make small steps towards improvement.
Make lots of good new ones and the old bad ones will get pushed out. Ain't got no time for that. I'm only modestly good at this, but what habits I have rid myself of were done that way.
Pages: 1 2 3