VanDweller Community Forums

Full Version: On the Road - There Goes My Diet
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Headed west, away from Tick City ... I mean Park City, Kentucky. You won't find a more beautiful state, but the ticks are brutal after 2 mild winters.

Anyway, on-the-road means sitting on my butt 6 to 8 hours a day, and SNACKING. Not talking apple slices and celery sticks, either. Talking about cookies and twinkies and trail mix. I wonder how many of those 30 lost pounds will be back before we get to Rapid City.
On the road does not have to mean eating bad.
STOP occasionally. You're not in a road race, are you? It's okay to stop. You get extra points for it. Your numb butt will thank you, and you won't have to pee into a Gatorade bottle and then toss it out the window.
I am not the one driving. DH is. The old him would have tried to push thru without stopping for anything but bathroom breaks. The new DH is willing to keep it down to 300-400 mile legs. I would like to go much slower than that, but I will take any concession I can get.
When I drive long distances, I will drive for 12+ hours at a time, or well over 700 miles at a time, stopping only for gas. I just drove from San Diego to the northeast in such a fashion. To combat snackiness, I placed only a healthy head of broccoli within arm's reach of the driver's seat. I found this tactic worked especially well as after only one or two florets I opted to eat nothing at all.
I have the same problem (eating junk while driving).  The only thing that works for me is not bringing it into the truck.  Once driving I don't miss it.  The fight comes in not buying the stuff on impulse.

As to driving long stretches: as one gets older it is important to stop every 2 hours or so and get out and walk.  Fatigue caused accidents is the biggest risk but blood clotting in the legs is a risk that increases as one gets older/heavier.  Probably important for the young also.

-- Spiff
(06-04-2017, 11:35 PM)TMG51 Wrote: [ -> ]When I drive long distances, I will drive for 12+ hours at a time, or well over 700 miles at a time, stopping only for gas. I just drove from San Diego to the northeast in such a fashion. To combat snackiness, I placed only a healthy head of broccoli within arm's reach of the driver's seat. I found this tactic worked especially well as after only one or two florets I opted to eat nothing at all.

Made me laugh, loudly.   Big Grin

(06-05-2017, 06:34 AM)Spaceman Spiff Wrote: [ -> ]As to driving long stretches: as one gets older it is important to stop every 2 hours or so and get out and walk.  Fatigue caused accidents is the biggest risk but blood clotting in the legs is a risk that increases as one gets older/heavier.  Probably important for the young also.

My mom turned me on to this, she and dad were lifelong RV'ers and she said to drive no more than two hours then get out and take a walk.  Started doing that and found I was nowhere near as stiff after a day of driving than I used to be.  My mom got very smart as I got older.  Wink
Why are you driving so long, do you have to be somewhere by a certain date?
(06-05-2017, 08:01 AM)Queen Wrote: [ -> ]My mom got very smart as I got older.  Wink

I was surprised at how much my parents learned while I was away at college  Tongue

-- Spiff
(06-05-2017, 08:22 AM)Dgorila1 Wrote: [ -> ]Why are you driving so long, do you have to be somewhere by a certain date?

DH likes to drive. He enjoys it. He would live on caffeine and drive 24/7 if he could.
Pages: 1 2